Welcome to ToTG!



April 1, 2017

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd

A "bump" from April '09.


Last night I was binge-watching the new series Timeless and a cover of this was at the end of one of the earlier episodes. I knew I had posted it before, but found it was now blocked from being viewed in the U.S. due to copyright concerns. This version is also live, but not with all of Pink Floyd, only David Gilmour.

After watching the episode, I came online and listened to several versions of the tune, both studio and live in concert as well as some covers. I then researched the lyrics to find out if there was any specific reference being made. What I found out was very interesting: Behind the Song: Pink Floyd’s “Wish You Were Here”. That said, I've always thought the lyrics were fascinating, well crafted to match the lovely melody.

2 comments:

garazon said...

in the words of my baby.. "Brilliant!" I always loved this song, the whole album really, maybe even more than "Dark Side of the Moon" Just something about the lyrics (and music as well) of this song seem to hit a spot somewhere that moves my soul.
So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
blue skies from pain.
Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
A smile from a veil?
Do you think you can tell?
And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
Hot ashes for trees?
Hot air for a cool breeze?
Cold comfort for change?
And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
How I wish, how I wish you were here.
We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,
Running over the same old ground.
What have you found? The same old fears.
Wish you were here.

Mike said...

This was a good "live" video, I thought. I started to post the/some of the lyrics and am glad you did.

I understand what you mean by hitting the spot; the song is one of my fav. PF tunes, but it's sad to me.

I oughta go look up just what they meant by these lyrics, see if it was something personal. It's personal to me, and even though it came out well before I met her, it reminds me of elle. -sigh- I guess that's because it's a song about missing someone.

Thanks for posting