Welcome to ToTG!



October 13, 2007

Ford, the Mustang



I'm sure the millions thousands hundreds dozens of several people who read this blog will remember this horse in my nonsensical post "Horse Laughs".

I drove back down to Miami yesterday, visited with some old friends while waiting on another one to get home from work. I was wanting to ask him who owned this horse, which was, at the time of my first photos, pastured across the road from his house. I pulled into his driveway, and saw this horse in what I knew to be my friend's pasture.

My old friend drove up just then, and was glad to see me, and loved the photos of his horse I had taken and printed off. I fed him (the horse) some sugar cubes and some lettuce I had brought down just for him and my friend told me the story behind the animal.

He had bought the horse for $650 from a friend of a friend, and showed me some documentation that came with the purchase. The wild mustang (hence the name "Ford") was about three years old when he was captured in Idaho on federal land by the BLM and then was taken to the Kansas state penitentiary and "broken" by inmates, then put up for adoption. He's a gelding, but is "proud cut". (Google that, I don't wanna explain it) He's now six years old.

I'm sorry I didn't get more details to the horse's story, but for some reason the Chinese beer I was drinking didn't allow for much information retention. It also got dark before I realized I hadn't taken any new photos. I also thought it was VERY dark down there, much darker than it is usually, then I realized I still had my sunglasses on.

2 comments:

Barb said...

laughing my ass off at the "still had my sunglasses" comment.

Sure is a handsome horse. First horse I ever fell inlove with was a dappled grey like that.

Mike said...

He's an old "fraud" is what he is. He's pretty sweet.

It was so funny the other night when I was down there; my friend had put out some hay, then went and got some grain for him.

Ford was standing there, pretty much asleep but lazily chewing on a mouthful of hay, and then my pal dumped the bucket of grain into the feeder.

Well, that scared ol' Ford and he jumped up and bucked, then ran off in a gallop, farting and nickering all the way. Was funny, but then again, I was pretty blitzed.