Welcome to ToTG!



August 16, 2009

Cast Away Locations in Google Maps

Since I've had thousands hundreds a few requests via email for the exact locations of the farm house and intersection used at the first and last scenes in Cast Away, I decided I'd embed a Google map to show just where they are.

For greater detail, click on the link "View Larger Map" at the bottom of the embed.


View Larger Map

I've got it set to the intersection but you can drag the map upwards* to see the farm house.

*Go up/North by dragging the map DOWNWARDS with your cursor.

Since I couldn't put a "push pin" in the map, I wasn't for sure just how I would pinpoint the locations, then found out by opening up the larger map, then clicking "More" and checking the box "Photos", there were a couple of photographs of each location, allowing the viewer to zoom out and see a better map by selecting "Map" at the top of the Google Map page.

After following those convoluted instructions, you should see something like this:



The top photo is the location of the farm house; the bottom one is the intersection.

Google Maps won't let you zoom in too close, but at least by having the two photos as "placemarks" in lieu of "push pins", you can have some idea of just where the locations are.

If you have the Google Earth application, you can download a .kml file with the locations at this page on Waymarking.com

Here are the two main posts about those locations:

Cast Away Crossroads

Arrington Ranch House


Edit to add: I had noticed my Cast Away posts were still among the most searched for articles in my blog and decided to check them - to correct grammar errors, "clean up" a few sentences, center the photos, etc. and I noticed that when I followed the directions to view the photographs in the larger map that they had disappeared - meaning that whoever had uploaded them had deleted them or their account(s).  I'll see if I can upload my own photos to those same spots on the map.  

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is awesome. I can’t wait to visit this spot. I’m sentimental that way.

Mike said...

I think the movie stirs up emotions in a lot of people. It was a tale of love and trust and learning we cannot let time rule us, but instead make the best of what time we have. It then became a very sad loss for the characters yet a new beginning. I've often wondered just how well a romantic move about what the Tom Hanks character (Chuck Nolan) did after standing in the cross roads.

I also think the movie stirs up emotions with its excellent soundtrack. I am of a belief that many mediocre movies are thought much better because of a great soundtrack.

Mike said...

How well a movie like that would do, meant to say. I banged that out a little too quickly.