Welcome to ToTG!



September 2, 2011

I'm Six Weeks

...and craving double chocolate chip chunky cookies.

Over the last few days, I've seen this and similar variations on several women's Facebook pages. After seeing it on several female friend's walls, I decided I'd Google it to see just what the deal was. At first, I thought it might be some sort of hint that they were pregnant, but knowing a few of the women were past childbearing age, I decided it might be a code. I was right; it's a "secret" thing women are doing to promote breast cancer awareness. Here's the code:

Your Birthday month = weeks and the actual day = candy (ie: June 1st = "I'm 8 weeks and craving skittles!")

Jan - 1week
Feb - 2weeks
March- 3weeks
April- 4weeks
May - 6weeks
June- 8weeks
July- 10weeks
August- 12weeks
September-13weeks
October -14weeks
November-16 weeks
December -18 weeks

AND IM CRAVING.
Skittles -1
Starburst -2
Kit Kat -3
M&Ms -4l
Galaxy -5
Crunchie -6
Dairy Milk - 7
Lollipop - 8
Peanut Butter cups - 9
Malt balls-10
Twizzlers -11
Bubble Gum-12
Hersey's Kisses-13
Chocolate Mints- 14
Twix -15
Reese's Fastbreaks- 16
Fudge-17
Cherry Jello - 18
Milkyway -19
Pickles -20
Creme eggs - 21
Skittles - 22
Gummy bears - 23
Gummy worms -24
Strawberry Pop Tarts - 25
Starburst -26
Mini eggs -27
Kit Kat -28
Double chocolate chip chunky cookies -29
Smarties – 30
Snickers -31

That's all fine and dandy, I suppose; breast cancer is an insidious disease that everyone SHOULD be aware of, but the question I want an answer to is this: How does posting your birthday in code make anyone aware of breast cancer? After my search, I found several forums with women gloating "Tee hee, let's make all the guys wonder what we mean!"

I've seen much dumber things posted on Facebook, but this one just seems silly to me and does absolutely no good to help a worthy cause.

2 comments:

Barb said...

and you've just supplied your DOB which isn't all that smart in theses days of identity theft. Combine tht with a public profile, pictures of your dog, home or kid and you just won the idiot of the year award.

Mike said...

At first I thought you were chastising ME for posting my birthday, but then read it again. That's the first time I've ever posted it that I can recall, and keep my birthday hidden on Facebook. I'm fairly paranoid about my personal info. being public. I've Googled myself and found only my phone number and address, and that's in the phone book.

I really wouldn't mind if someone assumed my identity; they'd have to assume my debt, too. -grin-

This code thing didn't make me angry but as I said, I just can't see how it does any good. Even the "repost this if you know someone who has -insert disease or disability here-" things would do better. Heck, I just bought a little piece of cardboard at the grocery store for a buck towards breast cancer and felt like that did a thousand times better than this code thing.