Welcome to ToTG!



October 10, 2011

Skunk Calls

I've written twice about my recent skunk problem, first in This Really Stinks! and the second time in The Skunk is on the Porch; now I've got a brand new problem.

The skunk is still around, even though I've been a lot more careful about feeding the stray cat. I put her food up on a lawn chair, but she's so stupid, I have to pick her up and put her up there; she just can't seem to figure out that's where she needs to eat. Sometimes I put the food in the bed of my pickup and for some reason, she knows that's where she has to eat. I don't really like going out in the dark to my vehicle though, afraid that I'll step on the skunk.

Just the other night, I opened up the screen door to let the Beej out, but he hesitated and hissed; that's not unusual, because the stray cat is usually hanging around wanting to be fed. (I'm not sure she's pregnant, btw...I think she's eating so well she's gaining a LOT of weight) B despises her and hisses if she gets too close to him. He usually isn't any more aggressive than that, but I've seen him take a swat or two at her in annoyance. Anyway...I had the door cracked, not enough to let the Beej out because I didn't want a fight, but he wouldn't go out. He kept hissing and spitting and I figured the stray just wouldn't move out of his way.

Grabbing a flashlight, I shined it through the screen and saw it was the skunk! No wonder the Beej didn't want outside! I kicked the bottom of the screen door and the skunk hopped off the porch. I let B out and he wisely went off the other end of the porch.

Then, last night, I figured B would want in, so I called for him "Here kitty-kitty-kitty!". This usually brings him in if he's ready (if he's not, he just ignores me) It also has the effect of bringing the stray to the porch, too. I called a second time and here came my cat, followed by the stray....and then followed by the skunk! I guess it's become conditioned to the call, knowing that not soon after the cats come to the porch, there will most likely be food set out.

The outside food has also been an attraction to any stray dogs roaming the neighborhood, as well as other cats. I've been pricing BB and pellet guns at WalMart, thinking if I put the hurt on 'em, they'll never come back, but if they're hungry....

I really don't want to shoot the skunk (with a .22 and certainly not a BB gun -I'd rather have it dead than P.O.'d) and certainly don't want to call animal control, as they'll trap the skunk and the stray (where, odds are, she'll most likely be gassed w/ carbon monoxide from a running vehicle, the method used here in town) or even B. As I've mentioned, he keeps losing his tags and collar. I could bail him out of "jail", but that's something like 30 bucks or more. I have a couple of traps courtesy of my nephew who used to work for animal control in another town. I figure if I bait the trap, then put a large plastic bag over the entire trap -except for the door end - and then run a string to the gate latch, I'll be able to pick up the trap, take it outside of town and pulling the string, open up the door from a safe distance and letting the skunk go w/out harm.

I really need this skunk GONE; sooner or later, one of the cats will get sprayed. If it's the stray, no big deal, her tough luck. If it's the Beej, he'll have to stay outside until the stink wears off and that could be a long time. My main worry is rabies; skunks are notorious carriers of the deadly disease and that's all I need to have the infection spread to not only the stray, but to my beloved B and then perhaps to me!

5 comments:

Barb said...

No easy fix for this one is there? We're lucky up north because the skunks tend to den up for the winter. As I understand they aren't true hibernators but they do usually go underground for most of the winter. Because they only venture out occasionally from late fall to early spring they are a lot less troublesome up here.

I will add one thing about the rabies issue. They don't carry it any more frequently than other wild critters but they do tend to carry a strain that causes them to be less likely to show immediate symptoms. They can be infected and acting normal for a couple of weeks to a month before symptom onset. That's another reason why trapping and moving them can be an issue. You might come in contact with the virus handling the trap and not even suspect it.

Still,if you are careful, it might be that trapping might be your best bet. Good luck with what ever you decide to try.

Mike said...

I'm just going by the published reports; every summer when there's an outbreak, they always mention skunks - catching them and testing and finding they've got the disease. Back a few months ago, I read the reports from ea. Panhandle county and Gray Co. (here) had a few, a couple of dogs and a skunk or two. Next county over had a couple of horses, which I had never heard about them having rabies.

I also have read that even though they/skunks make pretty good pets after they've been de-scented, there is no rabies shot for them that will work, or at least none that's been tested and approved.

This skunk looks healthy and acts like most every other skunk I've ever seen...well, except for coming when I call the Beej. lol

If I do trap it, I plan on wearing a mask and gloves as well as old sweats when I handle the trap. I really don't have any other choice.

I imagine that it has come into town because of the extremely dry summer. It just rained the other night, so maybe it will wander off after it finds there's no more food here for it.

sharintexas said...

Do you have any idea where he's living, Mike? I'll bet if the food source is gone, he will be, too. Just stock up on tomato juice in case you and/or Beej get sprayed. Then if you don't need it for that, you can have a Bloody Mary!

Mike said...

Not sure where it's staying, sis. Could be any number of places.

Haven't had a Bloody Mary or anything to drink in ages. I drank a beer probably a year or so ago. lol It just doesn't set well with me, but then again, it never did. Now that you've brought it up, though, I'm getting a hankering for at least some tomato juice. I try to budget my carbs wisely and alcohol isn't nearly as satisfying as a doughnut!

Joanne Casey said...

Catch it and keep it as a pet! Yay!