Welcome to ToTG!



February 1, 2012

Happy Groundhog & Garazon Day!

A"bump" since I'm too busy celebrating Groundhog Day to actually put up a new post about it.



(have to use a graphic because Blogger won't let me put in those special characters) means "grin" in IM chat or forum posts, but it in this case it also stands for "Garazon", one of my best and long-time online pals. The G for grin was first used by our mutual friend, Brad and I guess Garazon and I picked it up around the same time. It became a "nickname for the nickname" for me with Garazon and that's how I started abbreviating his screen name.

Garazon and I "met" in MSN Groups, but started to become good friends when he made a flashy Halloween page for his group, complete with embedded midi sound file and some other special effects. Making a page was one of my goals when I first got online and I was determined to learn how to do it, so I started asking Garazon all sorts of questions. I'm sure he grew weary of me bothering him, but he should have been flattered if he had only known how hard it was...and still is...for me to ask for assistance. 


I hope we don't ever lose touch, but even if we do, I'll always remember Garazon because of our time in Groups and that he once said Groundhog Day was one of his favorite holidays. I don't remember exactly WHY he said it was, but I thought that was very funny and every year since we met a dozen years ago in Groups, I always think of him on this day.

The 1993 Bill Murray movie Groundhog Day is also one of my favorite flicks and I try to watch it whenever it's on. I link to IMDb often when I post about movies, but sometimes I get so annoyed when reading posts about my favorite movies; the site is full of argumentative and insulting posts.  I can understand contention when discussing politics and religion, but movies?  Good Grief.  It gets extremely nasty when a movie contains plot elements of either of those two subjects and sometimes people try to interject one or the other into the discussion when there's no reason to do so.

Anyway...just heard on the news that the groundhog saw his shadow and there will be six more weeks of bad weather.  That doesn't mean much here in the Texas Panhandle; it was a beautiful, fairly warm day yesterday but this evening is supposed to bring freezing temps and rain and possibly snow. 

9 comments:

Carolea said...

Happy Birthday G. I do so miss the good ole days back in chat and groups. FB just isn't the same. I mean it is a way to keep in touch. Hate the changes. But haven't found anything better and My peep"s are there. Wouldn't KT be having Himself a hissy fit over my typing? Brad stuck up for Me writing Y'all, but Ya know I can NOT see Brad ever typing it for Himself! love ya

Mike said...

It's not Garazon's birthday, Carol. Forget when that is, but seems like it was last fall, or maybe in a month or two. I just can't remember, but Facebook will let me know.

Ah, KT. Haven't thought of him in years. I saw a post by him on Yahoo forums, had the same nickname, was in his same a-hole style of writing. Did I ever tell you I found out who he was? That's been a computer or two ago, but he had left a significant hint about what he did for a living (editorial cartoons) and with that and knowing where he was from (Philadelphia) I did some searching and found some of his cartoons along w/ his real name.

Remember that mgr. of CF, forget his name at the moment. I also found out who he was. Oh yeah, Topher...just remembered!

I'm not looking fwd. to the new timeline in Facebook. I don't like it and it's hard to find older posts from just a few days. That's why I'm doing more in this blog again, thinking of giving up Facebook pretty much all together. I'll prob. still check in, but I'd rather post in here.

Thanks f/ the comment, love ya!

Carolea said...

It is easyer to keep up with You here. I'm glad You kept this open. Not much of a movie fan but watch anyway. Hubby doesn't like being by himself, and We can't leave him alone. After His strokes He forgot a lot so some are new to Him. I just read books, make bets, as He loves scarey movies on who will be caught next

Barb said...

That post gave me a < BG >

I know change is inevitable but I miss groups too. I don't have as much time for computers now that Colleen is a bit older and a new husband who actually like to go out and do things but the silly fun, the intrigue, the nonsense and the good friends I made there can never be replaced.

Mike said...

Yeah, me too, Barb, although some of the over-officious managers won't be missed.

When the announcement came down that Groups were closing, there was a thread in a help group that listed many alternatives. I checked out many of them but didn't like most of them. Yahoo Groups were OK, but spammers could hit them easier and you couldn't embed a graphic into a post. Others had message boards, but no feature to upload graphics - most were like that, making you use Photobucket or some other graphic-hosting service.

I was just starting to check out Blogger with a "test" blog and posted that I liked it - it doesn't allow uploads of animations, but there was a lot of space in your connected Picassa albums, plus even though you didn't have a file cabinet, you could use hosted content, even some javascript in posts.

"But it's so...ego-centric!" said one of the managers. I replied "And most Groups aren't?"

The thing that annoyed me the most about many groups were their rules. I understood *some* of them, but most were just common sense and I hated having to read them, then post that I had read them. Sheesh, I'm housebroken, y'know?

Blogger keeps rolling out cool new features all the time. The latest one I haven't tried yet is creating other pages - think it's up to 20 additional ones. I don't know what I'd put on one, but I'm still thinking about it.

Carolea said...

Good to see You Barb and Mike. Agree with Your posts.

garazon said...

Sorry I'm late as usual getting around to post, thanks Mike for all the lind words and the memories of the group days! No you never bothered me at all Mike and if I helped in any way I'm glad to have done so. :) I forget now just how long it took me to make that page but I put more than enough time into it! I've grown lazy since groups though and now let the programs (wordpress etc)make the pages ;) , well as you know I don;t even do that so often here these days, LOL Oh i have lots of stuff and ideas but by the time I get home and we get settled I feel tired to do anything. Sure do miss a lot of the banter we had in groups and of course Brad, I'm sure I have that fading grin graphic I made when he left groups that time, but I dont even know where to start looking, Guess thats who we both picked up using the grin from, Brad.
Used to have a few groundhog day graphics I made as well, don;t know where they are either though! lol I think I said I liked groundhog day more than any other holiday probably as a joke to poke a bit of fun at some of the "over the topness" of the major holidays. Always like a laugh even if it's at myself!
Oh and my birthday was January ;) take care ya'll ! ;)

garazon said...

kind words, not 'lind' words, typing has never been my strong suit! ;)

Mike said...

I thought that might be your reasoning behind saying it was your fav. holiday, G. I'm with you about how they're over the top. My favorite holiday used to be Valentine's Day, but I'm beginning to think it's an unholy alliance between Brachs, Hallmark and Satan.

Just as good a holiday to celebrate as most any other. It was Pie Day a few weeks ago and last week had Cake Day. I'm looking fwd. to Ice Cream Day.