Welcome to ToTG!



February 10, 2012

Stop It!

If you use Facebook - as do many of my friends and family who follow me in this blog - you've probably received a request to play a game. Now, I spend far too much time online as it is and already have too many addictions websites I visit every day and don't need to spend even more time playing games. I recently had a games request from a long-time online friend's son and hated to turn it down, but felt I had to. I probably should have messaged him to say why I didn't want to play the game.

It's not just that, though; if you use Facebook, you've probably noticed strange messages on friend's walls, saying they've entered a contest and you should too, or you need to view some video or visit some link where you'll see something "Shocking!". Sometimes it's even posted on your own wall. Those are the "rogue" applications that can take over your account. What's worse, if you click on the link and your computer isn't completely protected, you stand a good chance of having some nasty malware installed.

For example, I just got a request from a Facebook "friend" to install an application - it was a game called "Messages From God". Now, if I want a message from God, I'll pray for one. He's seen fit to send me messages before, some I didn't want to hear.

Anyway, here's a screenshot of the request. I cut out the application name while I was deleting my personal information.(I wasn't going to name it, but since they don't care about MY privacy, why should I theirs?)

Click graphic for larger view


As you can see, the application wants permission to access your basic information, even when you're not using the app.  If you accept the app., you also grant it permission to send you email...IOW, to spam you.  Since it can access your Facebook friend's information, that means it can also spam them. Since using Facebook, my email has had a ten-fold increase in spam.  I'm certain that some of the applications my "friends" have installed are responsible.

That's not all;  as I mentioned earlier, you're also giving the application permission to post "on your behalf".  That's not only annoying to me, it infuriates me. (I post enough stupid stuff as it is - I don't need an application doing it for me.)

I've blocked the application and blocked any more application requests from my Facebook "friend".  (to paraphrase an old adage: "With friends like that, you might as well have an enema")  I've posted on my wall several times that I don't play games, don't want to be sent requests.  *Some* people don't care - or read - what you post, seems like.  If I get one more request from her, I'll just unfriend and block HER.

Facebook - other than that - is a great social media, but they sure need to do something about the security issues. It would also be nice to be able to just go into your settings and block ALL application requests.

4 comments:

Carolea said...

I agree. The games have gotten so annoying for Me at times. I very nicely write time is limeted, I share a computer. Yet when they write and ask I give into it. No more apps tho.The thing is I do at time like the games. I do play. But the asking and asking gets Me down.

Mike said...

Some of the games look fun and I've been tempted, but it still comes down to the security concerns. Mafia Wars, Angry Birds, a few others - those look like fun, but I have more than enough trouble wading through the posts/recipes that hit my reader every day.

I bet my Foodgawker feed sends me 100-200/day. Sometimes I just glance through them and hit "Mark all read". I've been trying to subscribe to the sites that have the best recipes and that adds to the total, but sometime in the future I'll stop Foodgawker and maybe I can get a handle on it. Can't remember the name of it, but I had another feed similar to Foodgawker, a site that compiles member's recipes then sends them out. Good grief, I couldn't even begin to wade through all of them, and many were duplicates - sites that were members of both.

Thanks f/ posting!

Barb said...

Words with friends is one game that is tempting me. I have both relatives & friends I see face to face that have asked me to play. Have resisted so far.

Mike said...

I vaguely remembered the incident, but I read an article the other day about Facebook games and that Alec Baldwin was kicked off a flight because he refused to quit playing "Words With Friends".

Thanks for posting, both of you!