Welcome to ToTG!



June 3, 2012

Liking Your Own Facebook Posts

Liking your own Facebook posts is like giving yourself a high five in public.
 - Conan O'Brien

I saw this quote as the rebuttal to someone on a totally unrelated subject. Others chimed in , saying it was lame, stupid, etc.  I didn't see one reply in support.

It made me Google "liking your own Facebook posts" and there were millions of mentions about it (18.1 million), but this one stood out as one of the few in defense of the practice: Should you like your own Facebook posts?  As is almost always the case, some people had to chime in with their own and insulting opinions.

To be honest, it's not a big deal as far as I'm concerned but I do wonder why people do it.

The reason I bring this up is because I accidentally liked one of my own posts earlier and quickly unliked it before anyone could notice. Maybe it's a bigger deal to me than I'm admitting.  It just seems like it's....not sure of the word or phrase I want to use...maybe "self-promoting"?  I wouldn't dream of mentioning it on my own wall and especially not on someone else's wall who does it, though.

I've seen several of my Facebook friends like their own posts and it's always struck me as odd. One friend does it all the time, but she can't be bothered to like even one of my own posts. THAT does bother me. She's the one who sent the friendship request.  What's the use of having Facebook friends if you don't interact with them? Other friends like nearly every one of my posts and I appreciate it; at least it lets me know they've read them.  The same ones always like my replies to their posts and that lets me know they appreciate ME reading THEIR posts.  Seriously, it doesn't take much effort to click the "like" button.

I've been culling my Facebook friends list because if they don't care about my posts, then why should I care about theirs?  I'm not being dramatic here;  it's just that there are reasons I spend time online: one is to learn - the news, recipes, subjects that interest me, etc.  Another is to be entertained - the learning could be lumped in with that, because I enjoy finding out things I didn't know.  Last, but not least, I love the 'net because it allows me to keep up with friends and family members.  It's almost a Catch-22 thing with that, though.  If they don't care enough to keep up with me, why should I care about keeping up with them?

4 comments:

Mike said...

I didn't unfriend her, just hid her posts from the feed.

sharintexas said...

I've done that with a few people and I suspect I've had it done to me, too. I have thought time and time again how much Mother would have loved Facebook and Twitter. She sure loved being on the computer.
I would have "liked" your comment if there was a button!
I'm off to jury duty this morning. First time in over 20 years.....

Daniel said...

Hi Mike!

Thanks for linking back to my post. Over the years since I first wrote it my attitude has shifted a bit. As I've shared, I think people take something like this a bit more seriously than needed. Much has to do with how we perceive one another's use of Facebook.

Stay cool in Texas!

Mike said...

Hi, Daniel!

As I said, I had many articles to choose from and picked yours. I enjoyed it, but the disgusting part were the nasty comments under the post. It always amazes me at what people will argue over, what insults them. I can understand debating politics, even religion, but to slam someone for liking their own Facebook post? That's along the lines of arguing over movies or music, totally subjective and my opinion on the matter doesn't hurt anyone else.

It is a little warm here in Texas; was down to freezing last week and we're expecting high 80's, maybe into the low 90's over the next few days. We call that "Indian Summer" around here...or maybe that should be "Native American season" as so not to offend anyone! -grin-

Thanks f/ posting. I went to your site when I got the notification of your post here in my email, but didn't see anything under the post that showed I had linked to it. Was just wondering how you knew.