Welcome to ToTG!



May 12, 2015

EGOT

A "bump" from Oct. 16, 2012


Did you know? EGOT: Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and Tony - winning all four is called the "Grand Slam of show business". (EGOT is sometimes known as "GATE", the "A" for Academy)

Eleven people have won all four major annual American entertainment awards - List - but there are only two who have won those four awards as well as the Pulitzer: Richard Rodgers and Marvin Hamlisch.


The reason I "bumped" this post was because I was reminded of it just now after hearing some idjit sports talk hosts talking about famous birthdays and mentioning that today was Katharine Hepburn's birthday and adding a not-funny crack about her being dead. Sheesh. Topping off that not-funny remark was one of the hosts saying her daughter was Audrey Hepburn. What? It made me go look to see if it was true - it wasn't. Dumb bastards.(and I'm a dumb one for having to go look)

Anyway, I remembered this post when I saw that Audrey Hepburn was a member of the elite EGOT club. (although how elite it is comes into question when Whoopie Goldburg is also in the club)  Glancing through the list I had read when I first posted this, I saw that Philip Michael Thomas was credited with coining the acronym. To be honest, the name was familiar when I read it, but off the top of my head I couldn't have told anyone what he had done. I remembered when I saw he had starred in Miami Vice. I've never been much of a fan of cop shows (hasn't the buddy cop thing been done to death?) and I can't remember ever watching a single full episode of that show, so that was the reason I couldn't remember Thomas.

2 comments:

Barb said...

There hasn't been an actor added to that list for a while. Cool statistic to share.

Mike said...

I thought it was cool, Barb. The only one I could name w/ certainty was Rita Moreno - she completed her EGOT in '77 and she was the answer to a question about these awards in some trivia game I had played a long time ago, but Helen Hayes completed her EGOT the year before. I don't remember what game we were playing - think that was before Trivial Pursuit - but someone else playing brought up Richard Rogers. Wish I could remember the circumstances, but that was a long time ago.