Welcome to ToTG!



March 18, 2013

How a Key Lock Works

How a standard key lock actually works:

From the site: I have always wanted to know how exactly a key engages with the lock, but of course I never bothered to do any research. This is how.

How a standard key lock works

EDIT: I hope this doesn't break any copyright laws; I used the share feature in my reader and that's a hotlinked graphic from Today I Learned. If the webmaster sees it in his web logs and complains, I'll take it down. I'm off to ask permission!

EDIT (again): Just got a reply from the owner of the site saying it was fine, but to please put in a link.  I had linked to the article at the top of the post, but will put it in again.

How a standard key lock actually works

From Today I Learned Something New

4 comments:

Barb said...

cool inside view. You are so conscientious to go ask permission like that.

Mike said...

Remember all the fuss and shuttered groups in MSN Groups? I used to pooh-pooh all those graphics folks complaining...and honestly, I didn't think a lot of their stuff was worth griping over...but it's still their creation.

I share stuff on Facebook all the time, but it's stuff I'm sure is meant to be shared and of course, they have the share feature.

Still, the reason I started trying to do things the right way was because I've had quite a few of my photos taken from here. Now, a lot of them could also fall under the category of not really being worthy of making a fuss, but there have been several instances of people nabbing my "Cast Away" photos. It's one thing to steal them, but quite another to pass them off as their own property. I've made several sites take them down but there have been others (hosting companies) that make me want to jump through hoops, send a written request, prove their mine, etc. When that happens, I just leave a nasty comment or send an email telling them what azzholes they are. It'd be nice if they'd at least link to the post, y'know?

That said, I've finally given up and quit worrying about it. It's like that old saying, if you don't want it stolen, don't post it on the Internet.

I've been contacted by graphics artists, just like those in Groups, asking to use my Groom Cross photos, always in some religious-type creation. How can I say no?

Mike said...

their = "they're"

sharintexas said...

Now every time I unlock my front door I'll see this picture in my mind!