Welcome to ToTG!



August 8, 2013

"It's Just a Dollar"

I went to the grocery store the other day and saw they had a sale on Eckrich sausage;  I don't eat a lot of that, but it sounded good and a pkg. will make several sandwiches, plus some left to be sliced into some slow cooker beans.  I got two packages since they were 2/$5.00, a dollar off the regular price for each.

I wasn't getting many other items and happened to see that one of the packages of sausage rang up at the regular price.  I pointed it out to the young woman running the cash register and she immediately looked annoyed that I had even spoken to her.  She glanced at the register readout, sniffed in a disdainful way and said:

"It's just a dollar."

I told her if it was "just a dollar", then maybe the store could pay the difference or better yet, she could get the money out of her own pocket and pay it.  She didn't look to see the sale price in the circular, didn't call a manager or do anything else about it, just stared at me as though I was something she wanted to scrape off the bottom of her shoe.  I told her I didn't want it then, didn't want any of the items I had that she'd already rang up and I turned on my heel and walked out the door.  I may never go back, there are two other stores here in town where I'm treated much nicer than that.

I'm just getting tired of the attitude of people who deal with customers, it's happened several times over this last month.  A few weeks ago I was wearing a Texas themed t-shirt and the checkout girl told me she didn't like my shirt.  I asked her why and she she said "Texas sucks."  I wanted to reach out and slap her insolent cheeks, but instead went home, got on the company website and sent off an email complaining about the hateful little wench.  The next day I got an email from corporate headquarters and a phone call from both the store manager and the district supervisor, all apologizing and promising it would never happen again. I told them it had better not, that their competitor was just across the street.

I've always been Caspar Milquetoast on these things; when I ordered a steak and it wasn't done as I liked, I'd eat it and not send it back.  When I wouldn't get good service, I'd go ahead and leave a tip or if my pizza arrived later than promised and cold, I'd just eat it and not complain. Never again!  I got a burger yesterday at the best place in town and when I ordered, I asked that some ketchup be put into the bag, explaining to the young woman who took my order that they always left it out.  She assured me she'd take care of it, but when I got home, there wasn't a single packet in the bag.  I will be letting the owner of the establishment know about it, too. 

What these people need to understand is that, while their boss signs their checks, I pay their wages!  Without me...and other customers...they wouldn't have a job!

I worked at a liquor store while going back to school;  I was a good hand and single-handedly worked the busiest times, the evenings and Saturdays.  The morning staff never had more than a dozen customers from 10-2 and all they had to do was check deliveries (and more often than not, didn't stock the items and left it all for me to do) and were supposed to dust and clean, but none ever did.  One young "lady" told me "This would be a great job if it weren't for the customers." (she had several come in the store while she was trying to watch Days of Our Lives and that annoyed her)

I'm sick of that kind of attitude. 

3 comments:

Barb said...

This is annoyingly common across the spectrum of employment. We have staff at school that bitch and moan about the students or things they have to do because of the students. I am constantly reminding them that if it weren't for the students and the tuition and fees they pay the state then they wouldn't have this job.

Mike said...

I don't want to blame it on that generation; actually, the blame belongs to the generation that raised them and set the example.

What I really find offensive is someone whining about their salary and thinking they don't need to work as hard as they should since they're not getting paid for what they think they're worth. People should work as hard as is required to perform their job, no matter if they're getting paid ten or fifty bucks/hour. They should work even harder if they want to advance and get a raise. I certainly wouldn't promote one who cared only about their wages and didn't work hard enough to even merit that money. I understand that some companies are forced to hire these people due to qualified and quality people available for the position, but still....

It really annoys me to read about the fast food workers wanting a min. wage hike to $15/hr. That's outrageous and there are people who perform vital and important jobs that don't make that. Good grief.

Mike said...

And should have added, the generation that set the example was guided by the previous generation that set the example for THEM. There are other mitigating factors though, and I think TV and movies share a large part of the blame.