Welcome to ToTG!



November 22, 2016

Dealey Plaza Webcam

A "bump" of this post from over a yr. ago to note the anniversary of the JFK assassination.


Another webcam I frequently visit is the Dealey Plaza Webcam in the southeast corner window of the sixth floor in the former Texas School Book Depository in Dallas. This is the view from the window from which an assassin fired the shots that killed President John F. Kennedy and severely wounded Texas Governor John Connally as the presidential motorcade drove through Dealey Plaza on November 22, 1963.


Here is the Google Earth street view looking back towards the sixth floor. The white "X" on the road marks the spot (the black arrow points to it) where Kennedy was shot.  The black arrow at the top right of the building points toward the storage room where Oswald was perched and fired the shots. It is now the Sixth Floor Museum.


Another street view of the grassy knoll where many think some or all of the shots were fired.


A photo taken that day:


During the day there are almost always tourists and sightseers and I find myself holding my breath while watching someone running out to have their photo taken on the "X".  (the person in the graphic below is hard to see because I had to enlarge it, but they're right in the center of the screen shot.)  This was at around six p.m. and even though the rush hour traffic has lessened, the road was still busy and they quickly had to scamper back as so to not get run over by cars speeding around the corner.


Dealey Plaza Webcam

The Sixth Floor Museum website

2 comments:

sharintexas said...

Come visit your sister and I will take your picture while you are playing in traffic!

Mike said...

I always regretted not taking Helen there, sis. I wanted to take her there after we had gone to Southfork, but we'd already driven a far piece that day and I was ready to get out of the car, plus I hated to ask you to take her there AND it was too late by the time we started back home. The Brits are fascinated w/ the JFK assassination...and they also loved the old series "Dallas".

I used to joke w/ her that the Brits wondered about two things: Who shot J.R. and who shot JFK.