Welcome to ToTG!



October 15, 2014

How 'Bout Them Websites?



After a revamp of the Dallas Cowboys website, I found that some of my bookmarked deep links were broken.  No big problem, I just found the particular pages again and added them to my favorites.  I had some problems with the videos not playing, but somehow that problem corrected itself.

I have issues with websites changing things just for change's sake and especially when the new design isn't better and most especially when it's worse.  The Cowboys used to win awards for best design, but not in a long time.  Now the site is too "busy" looking and chock-full of ads* - particularly annoying are the ones that play before each video. 

*Yeah, like Jerry Jones REALLY needs the money.  The site has always been ranked at or near the top of all NFL sites in traffic and according to one site, is worth $13,140,000.  One of the talk show hosts mentioned that there were at least 20,000 people on the site Monday morning during the show. ("at least", because he said the meter was pegged at the max of 20k)

I have an ad blocking extension on my Firefox browser as well as one that disconnects from third-party modules and ads, but the videos wouldn't play with the ads at the first of the videos blocked.  No problem, I disabled my extensions, but I'd still get a nag screen saying "We noticed you have adblocker software installed, for best results please disable them...." blah blah blah.  The best thing about the new design of the site is now the videos will play with my extensions enabled.  I'm sure they'll "fix" that before long.

No comments: