Welcome to ToTG!



March 15, 2008

Crazy Captcha Codes



If you've posted to most any forum lately, you'll be familiar with the "captcha" code that's used to weed out spambots. The above are some of the ones I've seen in this past week.

The frustrating thing about captcha codes is that they're sometimes hard to read; when it requires a case-sensitive input I often wonder- is that a lower case "L" or is it an uppercase "i"? Is it an O (oh) or is it a 0 (zero)? Sometimes, as you can see in the examples above, the letters are at all sorts of angles and it's hard to tell a "Z" from a "T" or an "S" from a "5".

I've had troubles deciphering them and used the "hear it!" feature only to have the code change after I've listened to the sequence. I've even input the code and then had my post vanish into the internet ozone. (thank goodness I've learned -- from my years in MSN Groups -- to copy any post before I send. I do it out of habit now, even with my emails)

My favorite captcha codes are those that use two or more random words. This one was especially "titillating".



They could've just used a photo, though.

No comments: