Welcome to ToTG!



October 31, 2013

Halloween Search Engine War!

Bing vs Google! Not sure if it's a "war" but I suspect it's a "one-upsman" type contest.  I've almost always enjoyed Google's "doodles" they do for holidays (except when they ignore Veterans Day) and wish they'd do more things like this.

The Bing page has an amusing, interactive tribute to Halloween; move your cursor around the page and click on objects around the room. I won't give too much away, but there are tributes to the movies Poltergeist, Halloween, The Amityville Horror, Friday the 13th, The Shining and Psycho. (Clickable arrows in circles will appear after revealing the things and take you to search results for those classic horror flicks.)



I've begun visiting Bing every day I can;  not only do you get points for visits, but also for using the search engine and for clicking around their fantastic interactive page.  (if I happen to miss a day, there's the option of cycling back through the previous week's offerings.) I've got quite a few points in my bank, but haven't used any of them yet; most of the redeemable items are entries into contests, usually for some Microsoft product.

Google's tribute isn't movie-related, but has some nifty interactive "games"; the ingredients you put into the witch's bubbling cauldron determines which one you'll go to, with a cool little flashlight-like application that will "scare you", another with a coffin-type "cups" game, a "whack-a-mole", only with hands erupting from a graveyard and others. (but I've already forgotten the rest)

2 comments:

Barb said...

That was fun, I would have missed the Bing interactive page if you hadn't shared it.

Mike said...

It was pretty cool, huh? I couldn't decide which I liked better, but if pressed, I'd go w/ Bing.

I was "clearing out" YT vids in my subscription list earlier and found the neatest video, a young woman who plays the violin. Already forgotten her name, but I subscribed to her channel and I'll post a neat vid of her in a few days. One video was really good, a graveyard/zombie thing, wish I had seen it before Halloween. I might have to put it in the queue for next year!