Welcome to ToTG!



October 27, 2013

Driving In The Texas Panhandle

Stumbled across video while looking at Texas Panhandle tornado videos; I'm not positive, but I'm fairly certain this is east of Amarillo, between there and Panhandle (the town).


If that's where it is, it reminds me of the first time my British friend Helen came over to see me. Her flight was later in the day and by the time we picked up her luggage and got out of town, it was just about sunset and we were right at the same place on the road as in the video.

The traffic was much lighter than in that video and she commented on it. When, after about ten or fifteen minutes,  the second or third car passed us going the other direction in the westbound lane, I joked and said the highway was starting to get busy. She thought I was serious, but I told her it was fairly normal for a weekday, plus the "rush hour" after 5:00 was already over and explained to her about the busy traffic early in the morning and at quitting time at the Pantex Plant and also how many people who worked there or in Amarillo lived in Panhandle or the small communities or clusters of houses nearby, making for a lot more traffic than at the current time of day.

We drove along for a while longer, not saying much and I was amused at her staring out the window at the scenery, such as it was. The landscape along that part of I-40 is apparent in the video; other than power and telephone lines and barbed wire fences and the occasional house, the view stretches nearly unbroken all the way to the horizon, nothing to catch the eye other than a few lights twinkling on top the cell towers.

After several minutes of silence, she said something to me, but I couldn't understand it so I asked her to repeat it. She did so, but I still couldn't understand the word she was using and had to tell her I still couldn't understand what she had said. She repeated it one more time, slower:

"It's. all. so. vahst." Vahst? What is that, I wondered, some sort of British slang?

Then it dawned on me what she was saying...

 VAST.

No comments: