Welcome to ToTG!



December 13, 2007

Isn't It Ironic?

Announcing a new label: "ironic"

Was just looking through the TV listings on my Excite start page when I noticed something ironic.


CMTV is showing a repeat of a reality show: Billy Ray Cyrus... Home at Last

Here's the description of the show:

Billy Ray has to decide between his music and his family when he discovers his tour schedule would cause him to miss his daughter's birthday.

At the same time, there are several reruns of Hannah Montana on the Disney Channel. a children's sitcom starring Cyrus' daughter Miley Cyrus as well as Billy Ray. Here's the title and synopsis of one of the shows:

Achy Jakey Heart
Jake returns from filming his movie and tries everything to win Miley back.

The ironic thing about this is not that both shows about both people are on at the same time on two different networks, but that they are all--both shows, both people and both networks-- nauseatingly boring.

4 comments:

Minnie said...

My daughter likes Hannah Montana,I hear what your saying though Mike

Quinduno said...

That's understandable; you have a teen girl.

I'm not a teen girl. Never had a crush on Billy Ray Cyrus, either, although I wish I had his hair and money.

I don't have a problem with it, but sometimes I wonder about how healthy it is for the offspring of a famous person to take up the same profession that their parent is / was in.

There are all sorts of examples, another being Hulk Hogan's daughter, Brooke. In both cases, I don't think either has the talent, not enough to be considered "great" singers.

It just seems to me to be "manufactured" celebrity, even moreso than it already is.

Quinduno said...

I was sitting here, just out of the tub after posting that last, and remembered another example.

You may not know who Tanya Tucker is; she was a C&W teen phenom singer back in the early '70's. She had a reality show on a yr. or two ago and has a boy and girl . The girl wants to be a singer like her mother, one of the shows was about her sneaking into a bar and singing one night. (she was something like 15 yrs. old at the time, no more)

Her son, probably acting up some for the cameras, I bet...but still was enough of a juvenile delinquent as to deserve a dozen lashes with a cane if he were in Singapore. -grin-

Something else came to mind when thinking of the Cyrus's; they were running an advert about the next installment of Billy Ray's series and it showed a small snippet of when he called his daughter from his tour bus.

"Hey baby girl...whatcha doin'? Watchin' tv? Well...."

He then looks at his phone and says "She hung up on me." His voice showed he was hurt, yet I guess he was professional enough to try to disguise his disappointment.

Just seemed a little callous on the girl's part, that's all. If it was staged, then all the more reason to just stay away from such shows and people.

Just my two cents. Like I said, I'm not a teen girl, so my perspective is different. I don't hate those people, just don't think they're role models, guess that's what I'm tryin' to say.

Maybe it's just that I think that, other than their talent and looks, they're nothing special.

Quinduno said...

Special like you...and Heather...and J.

And the other people in my life.

I can't sing worth a crap, but I like to think I'm special, if for nothing else than picking such good friends. -wink-