Welcome to ToTG!



November 28, 2008

cadence

From the Word of the Day feed

cadence \KAYD-'n(t)s\, noun:
1. the measure or beat of music, dancing, or a regularly repeated movement
2. a rising and falling sound; modulation; also, the falling inflection of the voice, as at the end of a sentence
3. a series of chords bringing part of a piece of music to an end


That's the Dictionary.com definition, but when I think of cadence, it's always to do with the military or how I once had a coach who was fresh out of the army and liked we boys to sing while running.

From the movie Full Metal Jacket

WARNING: Some explicit language. For shame, who'd have thought Marines ever cursed.



That was some Hollywood Marines; here's some real ones.



You'd have to be nuts to sass that first drill instructor. Sheesh, he intimidates me and he's just on a vid.

Cadence. I love it. I can't help but tap my foot along with the beat and I think that's because it's the same heartbeat tempo people have when they're pleasantly excited. Music can do that, I think. Different types can trigger all sorts of emotions, and I truly think they come from the heart.

God Bless our Troops.

No comments: