Welcome to ToTG!



January 31, 2010

Private Slovik

Earlier I noticed the "Today in History" feed in the right-hand column mentioned Private Slovik

From TheFreeDictionary.com:

Eddie Slovik


Edward Donald Slovik (February 18, 1920 – January 31, 1945) was a private in the United States Army during World War II and the only American soldier to be executed for desertion since the American Civil War.

Although over twenty-one thousand soldiers were given varying sentences for desertion during World War II—including forty-nine death sentences—only Slovik's death sentence was carried out.

I've been interested in this case since I first saw The Execution of Private Slovik ,an excellent made-for-TV movie from 1974 starring Martin Sheen as Slovik. There's a portion of that movie that's always stayed with me, when Slovik realizes he really is going to be executed. It's a heart-breaking scene as the brilliant actor Sheen, in a panic, repeats the priest's prayers. The execution scene following is anti-climatic because of it. (as well as on another level, but I wouldn't want to spoil that bit)

Sorry, no vids that I could find on short notice. I did see a couple of places that purported to have the entire movie, but the first one I checked out wanted me to d/l their player. No thanks.

Still, I would highly recommend watching the movie; it's on about once a year and I would wager any large video rental place would have it. I'd have to say it would probably be in my Top 100 movies of all time.

4 comments:

Alison said...

0ne that I would like to see ,sure sounds very sad though.

Paula said...

It's a phenomenal movie and Martin Sheen is superb. The last half hour is totally harrowing, but unforgettable too.

Barb said...

I had noticed that headline in the daily feed too and went to the site to read it. The movie sounds intense!

sharintexas said...

I noticed the information and did some searches, too. I would love to see that movie again. Martin Sheen was incredible in that portrayal. Mike, if you ever find it anywhere let me know. I'd love to see it again. I've not been able to find it in the local Blockbuster or anywhere I could order it.