Welcome to ToTG!



June 26, 2013

Execution Day



It's been in the news lately: Texas to Execute #500 as though it was some sort of crazy fire sale where only the first 500 customers will be given a toaster oven with purchase. Number 500 happens to be a woman, which I'm sure is driving up the media interest along with the "milestone" total.

From the article linked to above: Texas has carried out nearly 40 percent of the more than 1,300 executions in U.S. since the Supreme Court allowed capital punishment to resume in 1976. The state's standing stems from its size as the nation's second most populous state as well as its tradition of tough justice for killers.

I'm not particularly a pro-death penalty advocate, but I'm neither anti-DP, either. I wish for a time when we could value human life more than we do now; if that were the case, then there wouldn't be nearly the need for capital punishment. Until that time however, I would hope that the death penalty would be used almost exactly as how I would want abortions to happen: rarely and only with a good reason.

2 comments:

Carolea said...

I really don't know what to think. On one hand I used to be a very soft hearted person. liberal as can be. Now I am more hard headed. If anyone hurt My family, friends or dogs, I'd throw them to the wolfs.

Mike said...

I understand, Beary. I read (and then watched) A Time to Kill and I wouldn't have convicted the guy either for killing the guys who raped his daughter.

I've got an unusual idea for punishing children; first offense, they're on probation w/ a fine, give them a chance. Second, the parent(s) are stripped naked and lashed Sat. noon on the courthouse lawn. I would be there wouldn't be a third offense but if there was, then the kid is lashed along w/ the parent(s)

I watched a thing about juvenile offenders on the MSNBC "Lockup" program last night, it was horrifying what some of those kids had done. Of course, some of the adults have done that and worse and for the life of me, I don't understand why we keep them alive, can't see that any of them would be able to be rehabilitated.

This woman had several strikes against her and what got me the most was that she cut off her victim's finger to get her ring off it. I can understand murder, understand why it can happen sometimes, but to be so cold and callous to cut off a finger....it boggles the mind. If anyone deserved to be put to death, this woman did.

Thanks for posting!