Welcome to ToTG!



June 14, 2014

Lightnin' Strikes- Lou Christie

This was todays calendar trivia:  Men are more likely to get struck by lightning than women. 

All gratutitous jokes aside, I would wager that is because there are many more men than women in outdoor professions.  Regardless, when I saw this particular bit of trivia, it reminded me of this old song.  There were better videos, but I chose this one because it was recorded not long after the song came out in 1965, going on to be a #1 hit the next year.



Another bit of trivia ; from Wiki : That song (The Gypsy Cried) was released in 1962 on the C & C (sometimes listed as C & Ce) label and unexpectedly credited to "Lou Christie" without his permission. He had been working on a list of potential stage names, and he has stated that he hated the name for years afterwards: "I was pissed off about it for 20 years. I wanted to keep my name and be a one-named performer, just 'Lugee'."

2 comments:

sharintexas said...

I love, love, loved this song. I guess I still do. It was pretty risque in the early 60's "Nature's takin' over my one-track mind" Guess they would just use the F-word now to get their message across?

Mike said...

I thought of this song, then thought of you,sis. I always liked it best of his tunes.

Yep, that's pretty tame by today's standards. I got to thinking about the songs by two of my favorite groups - ZZ Top and AC/DC and while I didn't do a breakdown, figured that at least half their songs are about sex.

(that reminds me of larry talking about Ted Nugent and what a great conservative he was...I recited some of the lyrics from his songs "Cat Scratch Fever" and "Stranglehold" and how he dodged the draft during Vietnam by doing meth and crapping in his pants.)

I wanted to include when the song came out, so I did some quick searching and read up on him and the bit about his real name was interesting, didn't you think? He wanted a one-word name, guess like Donovan or maybe Elvis could be included. Nowadays, every other solo musician has a single word name - Bono, Cher, Adele, Pink, Fergie, Slash, Flea...and many others.

Also interesting was reading about his songwriting partner Twyla Herbert.

I don't think I have this song in my mp3 jukebox, come to think of it. I will here in a few minutes,though!