Welcome to ToTG!



June 30, 2007

My Trip to NYC

My sisters are taking a trip to NYC at the end of the week. I wasn't asked to go and I'm sure that's because they knew I would decline. It also could've been, since they're both older, that they remember much shorter trips with a much shorter me where I whined all the way there and back.

Besides that, I went to NYC a year or so ago, just after downloading the Google Earth program. Ain't the Internet great?

First, I zoomed out from the Panhandle, took a good look at North America.

(click any pic for a larger view, then use your back button to return. Need to see about "new window" script to add to posts w/ photos/screenshots/links)



Then I zoomed in on the Eastern Seaboard; the topography is fascinating to me, especially the Niagara Escarpment.



Wow, Long Island really IS long, ain't it?

Down, down, down to the Big Apple.



Going to the max resolution, one can even see ships in the Hudson River. This tanker is on the NY side of the state line with New Joisy Jersey.



Over to the Statue of Liberty.



A literal birds-eye view, no crowds, no admittance fee.

(and no Staten Island Ferry. We'll leave off the jokes)



Zoom out, get our bearings, use the hybrid view for the streets of Manhattan.

(this is the Christopher Cross satellite; it's the one between the moon and New York City)



Zoom in a little bit more; hey, there's Broadway!
(give my regards, etc. Couldn't make out Joe)

Note the wakes of the ships and other smaller watercraft. I dunno 'bout the Hudson, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to water-ski in the East River.



Let's get a closer look at that empty spot.



Ground Zero



We must never forget.

If I travelled to New York City, I'm sure I would want to do the same things my family is doing; take in a Yankees game, a Broadway play, visit the Empire State Building...all the "touristy things"... but if I couldn't visit the WTC site it wouldn't have been worth going all that way.

(I'm fairly certain there's a double negative in that last sentence, but you do know what I mean, don't you? Do you? Do you not? )

I'm sure my family is planning on stopping by the site. When I sent my "big sis" those screenshots above, she sent me the link to some Times Square Webcams.

She said she'd wave at me.

No comments: