Welcome to ToTG!



September 6, 2007

They Cast Lots

While not my "favorite" Station of the Cross at the Groom Cross, the tenth one is an interesting one. I need to take some more photos, some close-ups of the faces.

I've also not taken any good photos of the bronze plaques anchored in blocks of granite around each station. I would like to make a presentation someday of each station and need these all to look somewhat consistent. My best efforts, that is to say, the ones that were the clearest and truest to the actual color, had part of a necessary bit chopped off or had my big feet in them.

Click any photo for a larger view.


There's not a great perspective to take the photo of this station; any more to the right would have the gift shop in the background. As it is, I-40 and at times the traffic can be seen.


The detail is much more impressive as you get closer. I'm sure, since this is a "double" bronze, that it's one of those that (I was told) cost upwards of $30,000.


Jesus, exhausted from the labor of carrying the cross, bleeding from hundreds of cuts from vicious lashings, shows a sad resignation. He knows His greatest torment is yet to come.



The headdress/helmet of the Roman guard is almost comical, but then one's eyes drop to his face.


A mean, cruel face, insensitive to his captive's suffering. The exaggerated wrinkles in his face show a face prone not to laughter, but to sneers and scowls. He loved his horrible job.



And then they gambled for His clothes.

No comments: