Welcome to ToTG!



February 24, 2008

Zach Is Back



The Dallas Cowboys have announced the signing of Zach Thomas to a one year contract: 1 million in base salary, a million in the form of a signing bonus and a million in incentives. (not announced, but generally geared to the percentage of plays during the season and/or if he makes the Pro Bowl)

Personally, I was against the signing. Dallas has quite a few pressing needs such as shoring up the defensive secondary and finding a receiver who can stretch the field. (IOW, has "speed") The linebacker spot is one that Dallas is deep in personnel and at first glance, it seems as though Thomas is a "biscuit shy" of being large enough to play an interior LB spot in the 3-4 which Dallas employs.

Still, Miami used the 3-4 over the last few years and Thomas excelled in that alignment, making the Pro Bowl each year except for this last one. Something that has been thrown out in the hundreds of forums discussing this signing is the fact that Thomas has more tackles in his career than does any other defensive player now in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Very Impressive.

Another concern of mine is Thomas' age (he's 34, think he will turn 35 before or during next season) He's getting on up there in age where the end of his career is definitely in sight, so I was glad to see Dallas not break the bank or mortgage the future to sign him.

Also worrying many is the fact that Thomas missed most of last season with a concussion (given to him in the Dallas game) and then was in a car wreck with his new bride and suffered from a concussion and subsequent migraines.

Since this was a "bargain basement" type signing, getting Thomas for not much more than the NFL minimum for a veteran, then I will have to give my reluctant approval to the transaction. (not that MY opinion counts for a damn thing)

The funny thing to me is that Thomas' public statements said he was proud to be a Cowboy, but in my conversations with his own grandmother (I sort of know the family, his uncle lives only a few blocks away, but have met Zach only once. More on that later) when Zach entered the NFL draft, I found out that Thomas didn't like the Cowboys and was glad he wasn't drafted by them.

Of course, people can change their minds, but I believe money talks louder than anything else!

His grandmother said the rest of the family would've been happy to have seen Zach with a star on his helmet, esp. since half of his games would've been played in Dallas, fairly easy for his family to attend.

As I've mentioned in here before, Zach's father is responsible for building the Groom Cross, and that's one of the reasons I bring up a football related topic. The main reason I posted this is because Zach is from this area and played his last year of h.s. football here in Pampa.

This article isn't about Thomas' signing so much, but to mention the back-and-forth going on about it all in the football forums. Some are more than pleased with the transaction, while others bemoan that it is the beginning of the end of hope for this current crop of players and that Jerry Jones (DC owner) is once again meddling with the team, forcing it into mediocrity--once again.

I thought of making the following the theme of this post, but decided against it. "Zak is Bak!" was more in line with what I was thinking, esp after this post. (a fair example of the level of posting in football forums...heck, ANY forum)



I'm curious as to just how much money a chicken costs?

I dunno, guess it's just me, but if I don't know the meaning of a word, I don't use it. Also, if I don't know how to spell something, I will go look it up. I'm sure many of us do the same thing - we're all guilty of the occasional typo now 'n then - but I'm anal to the point of being mortified if I let something like "poultry" escape my keyboard into the Internet Ozone, especially if I meant "paltry".

John Lennon, when once asked if McCartney had written the lion's share of their collaborative efforts, replied "That's such a paultry question; I refuse to answer it. "

Where do you hang crooked politicians? Why, from the pol-tree, of course!

I could go on, but won't. Aren't you glad?

4 comments:

garazon said...

Well let's look into it ;) going by the average wholesale price nationwide last week a whole fryer went for 78.30 cents a lb ;)
So then if Zak is weighing 220 lbs as reported he is only worth $172.26 as poultry which is a very paltry figure, which then makes the $1 million tag seem way to high and the term paltry or poultry shouldn't even come to mind! Zak would have to weigh 1.277 million pounds in order to justify that price tag!
Don't you love a smart ass! lol

Well I am the worlds greatest for misspelling words, but thats usually from being a sucky typist and nothing to do with spelling. I do know the difference between poultry and paltry however. Well I don't use a word I'm noit sure the meaning of or how to use it either, but I would be willing to bet whoever wrote that to begin with certainly believes he has the right word! ( I was going to use write with a strikethrough instead of right but dont think that code is acceptable to use in the comments section!

I really can't comment much on the football part of the story as I am so out of touch these days with what is going on. The last time I was even keeping track to any degree was up until 1968 when Johnny U was sidelined. And then in the superbowl of that season the dumbasses left Earl Morral to go for three quarters with the Jets walking all over them, finally putting Johnny in.. well you always wonder what might have happened if he went in before the half... well i do anyway.. Anyway after that I lost most interest and do occasionally still watch Grren Bay play but hell now they all make too much money, its show business to me, not a sport anymore.. Thank Joe Namath Never thought I held grudges at all but this blogger therapy seesion has just revealed a deep hidden psychosis! Oh I'm cured!! YEA!! thanks Mike! I think this may have been an epiphany but I'm not sure of the word's correct meaning... I'm using it anyway!! LOL
love ya dude
G

Mike said...

Well, thanks to you I got over my long-time grudge against Green Bay, and have always rooted for Favre.

In fact, many of the sports pundits liken Romo to Favre in their style of play. I hope that's true and esp. in longevity.

I'm not a grammar nazi, not in the least, but sometimes a typo is so funny I HAVE to laugh at it.

Barb is still my friend, though.

- grin -

I believe there's a way to put in a link into these comments, but I'm batting .500 with doing them. I couldn't get a long URL to go, but managed to link to another post. (in some other post, forget...that's been a few months back and I have a hard time remembering just what I did yesterday)

I'm a pretty fair typist and that reminds me of a topic I thought I'd write on someday!

I remember ol' Unitas, he of the high-top black shoes. I like talking football, but in all my ventures out on the 'net, I've never made good 'nuff friends with anyone to talk (reasonably) about football, particularly the Cowboys.

Funny about the chicken prices vs. Zach's weight. I think Zach can still play good ball, but he's no...

Ready for it?

He's no...

Spring chicken, after all.

Mike said...

link

Mike said...

And something else, a confession I suppose:

I had to go look up "paltry" just to make sure.

I also checked "mediocrity".

I seldom use "paltry" but I'm trying to write an auto-biography and will need to know the other.