Welcome to ToTG!



August 15, 2008

Goodbye, Corner Gas

But first (if you've never seen or heard of the show), say hello to Corner Gas, the intro to the very first episode.



I recently found this delightful Canadian series on the superstation, WGN. It comes on Mondays-Thursdays at 11:00PM (CST) and two additional episodes are shown on Wed. nights, starting at 7:00. It also airs on Friday and Sunday nights. (actually, it comes on in the early mornings: check your local listings)

It's a simple little show with subtle humor (that'd be "humour" I suppose, since it's filmed in Canada! -grin-) that could be, I suppose, described as something like "Seinfeld in Mayberry".

The show revolves around the owner of a small town gas station in Dog River, Saskatchewan. Brent Leroy (played by the show's creator, Brent Butt) is the comic reading laid-back businessman, who has some surreal interpersonal relationships with his parents, his best friend Hank, his sole employee Wanda (who is also his real-life wife), the town's two inept police officers, plus the owner of the next door cafe, the Ruby. (and that character is played by Gabrielle Miller who makes my heart go pitter-patt...she's absolutely drop-dead gorgeous)

Wiki entry on Corner Gas

I was saddened (yes, really made me sad) to find out the show is ending its six year run at the end of this next season. Why do all good things end far too early?

Official Corner Gas website

"Corner Gas: 40 miles from nowhere and way beyond normal !"

2 comments:

Mike said...

Maybe the reason I like this show so much is that I can identify with the characters. I grew up in a small town, owned a gas station for a while, had some daft friends and even dated some pretty women...which is the oddest thing of all because I look like Brent.

Mike said...

And, why am I also a day late and a dollar short on these types of things? Sheesh, the show is ending, and I've only recently discovered it.

ALTHOUGH...I have watched every episode, thanks to the eight shows on each week.