Welcome to ToTG!



January 10, 2009

Aermotor Windmills

From Texas Country Reporter (YouTube Channel)

The location is quite a bit south of here, not really in the Panhandle, but certainly could be in regards to the landscape and particularly the wind.



My sister's in-laws used to be haying & fencing contractors and one summer hired a couple of young men who stayed with the family. One guy had a beautiful old pickup and had under the dash the only record player "deck" I have ever seen. It very seldom skipped, only when he hit a pothole.

The other guy was pretty much a greenhorn and I remember something very funny he said to one of the family "Sure are a lot of air motors around here." "Air Motors"??? The mystery was solved when he pointed to a windmill with "Aermotor" stenciled on the vane.

I certainly did not know Aermotor was the sole windmill manufacturer in the United States.

There's a lovely old wooden windmill about five/six miles out of town and I'd love to photograph it in the morning because there's nothing behind it to the east and I think it would make a fantastic shot with the sun rising in the background.

The only problem is that I'd have to pretty much be on the farmer's porch when the sun came up!

EDIT: Poking around the windmill vids at YT, I found this one:

What I Learned From Windmills

No comments: