Welcome to ToTG!



September 10, 2009

100,000 Stars



Omega Centauri

NASA's Hubble Space Telescope snapped this panoramic view of a colorful assortment of 100,000 stars residing in the crowded core of a giant star cluster. This is one of the first images taken by the new Wide Field Camera 3 that was installed aboard Hubble in May 2009 during Servicing Mission 4, which can snap sharp images over a broad range of wavelengths.

Image Credit: NASA



And, as always, available as lovely wallpaper in several sizes.

2 comments:

Barb said...

I was looking at the recently released batch of Hubble photos and they are amazing. The one of Mars was facinating and the "quintet" of galaxies was really cool and all of those ones of the Carina nebula were awesome. Can you tell I'm a science geek all jazzed over the new images, lol. I'm always going back to look at more at www.hubblesite.org. They have excellent "zoomable" images.

Mike said...

I love anything to do with space; I think my interest has grown as a substitute for giving up sci-fi.

I read not long ago that the Hubble was due to be retired fairly soon, not for sure what they'll replace it with.