Welcome to ToTG!



September 13, 2009

tHanks a Lot, KotH



The last episodes of King of the Hill aired tonight. -sniff-

A description at Hulu.com sums up the premise of the show the best, I think:

KING OF THE HILL depicts the life and times of HANK HILL (Mike Judge), his family and their neighbors in the fictional suburb of Arlen, Texas, the heartland of America. A hard-working, loyal family man and proud Texan, Hank is assistant manager of Strickland Propane. He's a blue-collar Everyman who sees himself as the voice of common sense and reason in a world of incompetent sales clerks, meddling bureaucrats and do-good liberals.

From Wiki:

King of the Hill was an American animated series created by Mike Judge and Greg Daniels, that ran from January 12, 1997 to September 13, 2009 on FOX. It centers on the Hills, a small-town Methodist family in Arlen, Texas. It attempts to retain a realistic approach, seeking humor in the conventional or mundane aspects of everyday life.

Judge and Daniels conceived the series after a run with Judge's Beavis and Butt-head on MTV, and the series debuted on the Fox Network on January 12, 1997, becoming a hit early on. The series' popularity has also led to syndication around the world, including every night on Cartoon Network's late night programming block Adult Swim. The show has risen to become one of FOX's longest-running series, and the second longest-running American animated series, behind The Simpsons. In 2007, it was named by Time magazine as one of the top 100 greatest television shows of all time. The title theme was written and performed by The Refreshments. King of the Hill has won two Emmy Awards and has been nominated for seven since its inception.



I could say so much more about this series, but to be honest, I'm too sad. Perhaps "sad" isn't the word, but maybe "melancholy" would fit better. As the Wiki entry said about the Time article, it was one of the best 100 shows of all time, and in my OWN rating, is one of the top five that I've ever enjoyed. (and that's saying a lot, because my list wouldn't go much past ten or so. IMHO, network TV basically sucks)

It will live on in syndication, I'm sure, but that's no help because I think I've seen every show at least twice, but there MIGHT be one that slipped by me.

If you've never seen the show, there are several of the latest episodes at Hulu.

1 comment:

Barb said...

One of my favs too Mike so I share your melancholy. It was one of those shows that when you tried to explain it to someone it ended up sounding stupid. You had to watch it to get it. I still remember the first episoid, sitting there, getting ready to hate it because the animation style so reminded mo of Bevis and Butthead (and I really thought that show was a waste of time, air and braincells) But it hooked me from the start.