Welcome to ToTG!



February 17, 2010

Skinner Wins Reprieve

From the Houston Chronicle online:

Texas inmate set to die next week wins reprieve

HOUSTON — A condemned inmate set to die next week for a triple slaying 16 years ago in the Texas Panhandle has had his execution date put off for a month.

Henry Watkins Skinner, 47, faced lethal injection Feb. 24 for the 1993 New Year's Eve killings of Twila Jean Busby, 40, and her two grown sons at their trailer home in Pampa.

State District Judge Steven Emmert on Tuesday reset Skinner's date to March 24 to resolve what lawyers said was a timing problem with the original death warrant.

The judge said the paperwork was not completed properly within 10 days of when he signed the warrant last November and Skinner's attorneys had filed a motion to have the warrant dissolved.

"I figured the safest bet was to back up and start over," Emmert said Wednesday.

Read the rest


Previous post on this: Dead Man Balking


More news articles:

Texas execution nears as condemned man seeks DNA test

TribBlog: Skinner Execution Postponed

Delay for Skinner execution, but that's all?


Meant to add this link to my previous article:

Official Hank Skinner site

2 comments:

Alison said...

Thanks for all the links ,im off for some interesting reading this morning.

As a Christian I feel and know we should not kill, this guy should surely be allowed to have the DNA testing done , I can't understand why it hasnt been done already at the very start of the case , this Mr Skinner seems to be very confident of the results they may produce,hope he gets a total reprieve,
Corpral punishment always causes so much controversy , I know it must be very hard to not want to murder someone who has murdered your child/family and I only pray I am never in that position myself.

Mike said...

The whole thing stinks. I've researched his case probably nearly as much as anyone else (more than his first lawyer, at least), and while I think it's possible, even probable that he did it, I can't help but believe he deserves a new trial.

He's got so much against him, not only the Texas courts that refuse to hear his appeals, but also that many witnesses are dead who could have shed some light on the events that took place that night.

I'm a believer in the death penalty, but it seems as though Texas doles it out just a little too frequently. It's always struck me as egregiously wrong that a person who kills in one county can get death, while another person in another county gets life or less in prison.

While I'd hate to see a guilty man go free, it would be a horrible thing to execute an innocent one.