Welcome to ToTG!



April 30, 2010

The Wicked Water Wiggle


Did you ever have one of these "toys"? My sisters and I got one many summers ago, and it didn't take long for it to go unused. I don't recall exactly what happened to it, but maybe it got run over "accidentally" by the lawnmower. -ahem-

The thing was basically a water faucet with a cute little bell-shaped head around it, connected to a hose that was in turn connected to a water hose. The faucet part was so heavy it took quite a bit of pressure to get it going/airborne and there was absolutely no happy medium to it - it was all or nothing.


The object of the "toy" was to get close to it and then dodge its gyrations, getting wonderfully wet in the process. All too often, however, it seemed to go on a rampage and wiggle uncontrollably and usually whacking me in the head.

That probably explains what's wrong with me today.

It also says a great deal about the difference in today's litigious society and that of my childhood days. The toy, put on the market in '62, wasn't recalled until 1978.



Me, I think the damn thing was invented by a sadist.

4 comments:

Mike said...

People with concussions sometimes giggle.

sharintexas said...

That was me giggling, Mike. Guess I didn't duck often enough either! You should have hid behind me...or was I already hiding behind you? LOL!! Thanks for the memory!

Mike said...

I remember being disappointed we didn't get a Slip 'n Slide...then got to slide on one and it wasn't much better; to get going, you had to take a run at it and flop down on your belly, knocking the wind out of you.

I liked our croquet set much better, except when your sister cheated.

sharintexas said...

Brad was laughing about a Slip & Slide I bought for them when we lived at the lake house. He said he'd be going along having a good time than that thing would slide you right into a sticker patch. Needless to say it didn't last long with all the grass burrs and goatheads out there.
I bought more than one for the grandkids down through the years. They would end up making a muddy mess out of the yard and everyone would be covered in mud instead of nice and clean!