Welcome to ToTG!



May 31, 2012

Culling the Reader Feeds

Whew, I feel like a huge weight has just lifted off my shoulders. 

I just now un-subscribed from my TasteSpotting feed. It's a great recipe site, gathering recipes from all sorts of websites, but it just got to be too much for me to deal with.  The latest stats say it has 690 posts/week and believe me when I say, an extra hundred posts per day to wade through was just too much.

It was twice as worrisome when I also had the foodgawker feed.  According to their latest statistics, they posted 1,563 recipes this last week.  

Both sites were good at finding other recipes sites I subscribed to in my reader, but the problem with the feeds were that most recipes were uninteresting or nothing I cared to save or try (like eel, etc.) Quite a large number were also in other languages and most of the time it wasn't worth the effort to translate them.

I probably have 30-40 recipe site feeds in my reader now; some post every day or multiple times a day,but others publish less frequently. I think I've got plenty for now. I also frequent other sites that have recipes and get several newsletters every day in my email inbox.

Yep, I feel better already.  This will let me devote more time to the dozen Dallas Cowboy website feeds I have.

5 comments:

sharintexas said...

What do you do with all your recipes, Mike? I've been more interested, mostly in baking stuff lately. I always have a taker when it comes to tasting my culinary creations. I'm not real adventurous when it comes to cooking or baking but I do have some good recipes now. Nothing beats some of Mother's recipes though. Now if they just tasted as good as they did when she made them. :(

Mike said...

I just save 'em, sis. One of these days I'll print them out, at least I will the ones I want to keep for good and try.

sharintexas said...

I've printed off the ones I've tried and liked. I put them in plastic protectors and have them in a notebook. Maybe someone will want them someday and if not it will be easy to get rid of....unlike the other 60 years of accumulated stuff I have around here.

Mike said...

I'm getting a decent collection of recipes - lost a lot with before last computer's hard drive crash. I bought an external hard drive for my last computer and lost only a month's worth because I don't save them until the new month starts. No biggie.

I've won a couple of cookbooks over the last few months, too.

I think I'll probably check in on both those recipe gathering sites from time-to-time, but it's really a relief to get on the computer and see "only" 40-50 unread articles instead of several hundred.

Little annoyed: this new computer had a nifty PDF program, but it was only a trial. That's how I prefer to save the recipes and I still can w/ sites that use a different method (like Google Documents) for the PDF's. My program still works, but it puts the software logo on the file and it's usually right where the photo of the dish is, dammit.

At StartSampling and a few other sites, I go to their "print friendly" page and just save the entire page. It saves the html page and a folder w/ images and scripts. A little bloated way to do it, but I've got plenty of storage for now.

If I don't do that, I just copy the ingredient list and directions to a Notepad document, then save the graphic of the finished dish. Some sites try to use a no copy script, but there's several ways around that. That's a pet peeve of mine when they do that. Why share the recipe if you don't want anyone to save it and try it out?

Thanks f/ posting.

Laura said...

What? You don't like eel??? Well, I'm glad I changed my mind and decided to make steak this week instead!

It sounds like getting rid of that Tastespotting feed was a good idea. No sense in getting stressed out over a few thousand recipes.

I hope things are going well for you.