Welcome to ToTG!



May 24, 2010

Sudden Weather



According to the radar, this line of storms that just popped up is heading nearly due north, which would put it to the west of me (white dot) Most disturbing is the pink part of the storm near the very end of it with what might be a hook from rotation.

I can hear the thunder and feel the gusts of wind which are coming from the front. If the storm decides to head just a little bit to the east, it might mean some severe weather for my vicinity.

It's getting closer and I may very well shut down this computer, even unplug the TV. Sometimes these storms are not only dangerous, but a major PITA.

Before I close, I want to add that I can feel the pressure as it increased, and now it's fallen a substantial amt. (not sure where the barometer is) It's gotten cooler and is very dark outside and very still, much diff. than earlier. More thunder rolls across the sky...

3 comments:

Mike said...

Well, I'm back.

I drove a loop from here to Hoover and after a short stop along Hwy 60 when the rain became fierce, I bopped on home. Funny, when I decided to stop was when the SUV in front of me decided to stop. My wipers couldn't keep up and it was one solid sheet of water coming down.

It finally stopped at the loop just east of town. I turned on the 'puter, but just heard a great peal of thunder to the south.

TV looks fairly clear but there IS another line to the south, but here's hoping it slips off to the west, looks like it might.

sharintexas said...

Good grief, Mike. What were you doing out in that mess? Don't forget what happened to us before we got the cellar and Dad decided to put us all in the pickup to drive to the highway and watch the storm! That's been many years ago, but I don't think tornadoes have changed in all that time! LOL!! Be careful!

Mike said...

For some reason, I felt very unsafe in the house. I thought if I got out on the edge of the storm, I could maybe take some far off shots w/ the sun going down in the background.

It spread out much farther than I figured, too. I got right in the hail core of the storm.

I haven't checked, but I expect we got several inches of rain. The fields are really green already, and this last batch of water will really help w/ the wheat, not to mention the grazing. The bar ditches look like they'd make 25 bales to the acre, too.