Welcome to ToTG!



May 28, 2011

dudgeon

dudgeon \DUH-juhn\ , noun;

1. A state or fit of intense indignation; resentment; ill humor -- often used in the phrase "in high dudgeon."



I was "in high dudgeon" earlier;  I was in a conservative political site and had commented on Glenn Beck - that I didn't like him, mainly-  and I was told to not "shoot the messenger". I replied, saying I didn't want to kill him, but I WOULD like someone to shoot him in his butt, the sorry SOB.

I then got a reply from the same guy, accusing me of uncivility and how it was a shame when people today could't be polite, citing several instances such as "RINO", "Libtard", calling Michelle Obama a "wookie" and how people made fun of Sarah Palin and her mentally challenged child.  He gave several more examples of namecalling that "hurt America" and insinuated that I was what was wrong w/ America.

(I've never called anyone a libtard - my friends and regular readers of this blog know how I feel about people using "retarded" as a pejorative. I do think *some* liberals are dumb as a box of rocks, but I also think some conservatives are that way as well. I wouldn't dream of making fun of Sarah Palin's child and think it admirable that she bore the child and didn't abort him, even though that would have been the easy way out. I've never called Michelle Obama a "wookie", either. First, I'm not a huge Star Wars fan and secondly, she doesn't seem to be all that hairy. I will admit to not finding her as attractive as some do, but I think the ugly thing about her has been some of her public statements about not being proud of America until her hubby was elected and sitting with him and listening to their preacher Wright's anti-American rants and not getting up and walking out.)

It didn't take long to look through his Intense Debate profile and find just a day ago where he said "I could kill him for that." and calling another poster a POS and telling Newt Gingrich to "STFU".  He also had several instances of calling Ron Paul a "loon" and not coming to his defense when others called him worse names.  I found a dozen examples of his own rudeness about politicians and to other posters;  I gave up after I had enough and had scrolled through a dozen pages of his posts.

I tried to be polite, telling him what I said was hyperbole, and saying if he wanted civility, then he should practice it himself.  I then I pulled out my old standby retort when someone is being hypocritical, telling him that getting advice on civility from him was akin to getting drug counseling from a crackhead.

I don't like Glenn Beck;  he's a weepy, overly-dramatic fear monger.  If you love him, that's fine...it's a free country, after all, but I'm not changing my mind about him.  I was flipping through the channels last night and he had an excellent show going on about black people who helped found our country and had influence in its shaping.  Then he started to cry over something, and I turned over to something a little less dramatic. 

I've become misty-eyed over some things - old veterans carrying the US flag, thinking of all the things my parents did for me and I didn't let them know how much I appreciated it, even the endings to the last Harry Potter book and the movie "Rudy".  I consider myself to be overly-emotional and that's hardly ever a good thing, but if we had in Texas the on-air tears that Beck has wept, we'd be drought-free for the next hundred years.

No comments: