Welcome to ToTG!



February 10, 2016

It's Lent

"Bumped" from a couple of yrs. ago and updated*.


Not being Catholic, I am usually unaware when Lent begins. (*This year, Lent begins today and ends on March 24.) When a spate of pancake recipes hit my reader earlier this week, I was reminded that before Lent begins, there is Shrove Tuesday or "Pancake Day", when housewives would try to use up all the ingredients they couldn't use during Lent.

As I said, not being Catholic, I am not familiar with Lent, but I do know that when making pancakes, one should not over mix the wet and dry ingredients or the pancakes will become "tough".  A few lumps are all right - they'll bake out when the pancakes are cooked.

I used to brag that someone could bring up a topic and I would know a joke about it.  Since it's Lent, here's my Lent joke:

A couple had just gotten married during this time of year.  On their honeymoon night, they went to bed and the new bride eagerly reached over to her husband, but he gently pushed her away.

"I can't...it's Lent." he explained.

"That's silly." she sniffed.  "To who and for how long?"

5 comments:

BeetleBuggy said...

That is a funny joke, Mike! I've read of another tip to prevent your pancake from becoming rubbery - you mix it lightly just till everything comes together and let it rest for 10 minutes. I've yet to try and test that method, though.

Mike said...

Thanks, Beetle! It was just this side of being naughty, huh?

I've probably seen that Alton Brown pancake episode three/four times and have only made pancakes once since I first saw it. I found out I was diabetic a few yrs. back and pancakes are now on my forbidden list of foods. It's not the syrup that spikes my blood sugar but the carbs. -sigh-

I bet, though, that letting it rest would cause any lumps to hydrate, huh?

I subscribed to your blog, btw. I sorta skipped over the bio of the woman in the deviled eggs post, then I noticed the things she had done, the most memorable thing being working for the Daily Worker. When I was a kid, I used to consider myself to be about half-Communist. It was from growing up poor and having class envy, that's all. I've grown out of that,thank Goodness.

Thanks f/ posting!

sharintexas said...

I don't know if you remember or not, but I still have a scar on my forehead from cooking pancakes. The hot oil/batter splashed on my forehead and I reached up and wiped it away taking skin and all with it. I hardly ever make pancakes any more. I just buy the frozen ones when I get a craving for them. The frozen ones are much safer!

Carolea said...

ROFL. I enjoyed this.

Joanne Casey said...

Ha ha :D