Welcome to ToTG!



July 5, 2007

Farewell Faithful Font



Oh, Comic Sans MS, I know you really aren't dead but I AM burying you in my past.

You've been with me for oh-so-long...I knew nothing about computers, much less the types of fonts we could use, when I bought my first PC. It didn't take me long to notice you, wonder what was your name and if there was any possible way that I too could be friends with you.

When I found MSN Groups, I didn't see you much. I saw the Times New Roman, Garamond, even that silly scrawling script, Lucinda, often in the most garish of colors.

Not you, though. You stood out, black on white, no need to try to dress you up in any other font colors. Sure, it was a bit of trouble to use the font menu, type in your full name, but I wanted you so badly I was willing to take the extra step.

I have to smile sitting here thinking at how fast people started associating us with each other. There were times when something happened and I accidentally posted in the default font and someone would say "Gee Mike, I skipped right over your post, didn't even realize that was yours without the comic sans!"

We were made for each other. Like I said, basic black, default type size, always justified to the left, none of that centering crapola in green and God-forbid, no italic. People knew it was me right away and since so many didn't like the things we said, they wouldn't use you as their own font.

I liked it that way. I had you for myself....or so I thought.

Then I found out some people hated you and wanted you gone.



That was a blow to me; how could anyone hate you? What had you done to deserve this scorn and worse yet....what secrets were you hiding from me? Come to think of it, you never had told me what "MS" stood for; I spent many sleepless nights thinking you had that dreaded disease.

Then I started seeing you with others; oh, it looked innocent enough on the surface, but I couldn't help being a bit jealous...I'm that kinda guy.

Still, we had such fun together. I loved your shape, the way you slightly skewed your "C"s and absolutely adored...with good reason...your "M"s and especially the lower case "m". That little "m" was ME, CS! A little cocky, a little screwy, even a little crooked! I could sign my full nickname "mikeintexas" starting out with that lovely little "m" showing people my zany side yet proving that I am also humble...no big "M" for me!...and self-deprecating, often to a fault.

I will have to admit I became obsessed with you, however. Maybe that's what started our downfall. I used you everywhere I could, in forums, in Groups, setting you as the default in my e-mail client. I DID leave you alone in my browser settings; I figured you could use the rest and face it, you weren't at your best in the smaller sizes. I'm not saying that to hurt you....

Then I found Blogger and you weren't on the available fonts! At first I panicked, then found out I could use my own template and force all the fonts on the site to be comic sans ms, but I'm just not talented enough to do that. I thought I would design a logo, keeping you at the top of the page, keeping you near me at all times, paying homage to you, but...well, you know how small-minded these self-appointed, self-righteous web design "experts" are...they're so bigoted, saying you shouldn't mix fonts on a page....

We were growing apart before Blogger, though. I was getting away from Groups, looking for new experiences and found other forums, Usenet, a zillion other message boards. I could use you in some, but just like Blogger, some didn't allow you. I found myself taking the easy way out, using the default font.

It was hard, trying to get across that side of my personality without your help, but I found out I COULD get along without you! It took some doing, but I managed.

You became too high-maintenance, Comic. It was just too much trouble to type in your name, I've been becoming interested in other facets of online life, something beyond fonts. I know, I know, there was a time there when I was infatuated with other fonts, using them in my graphics hobby, but to post? I ALWAYS used you when I could! Always! Those other fonts meant nothing to me.

There's nothing left to say; as you can see, I've been hangin' out with Verdana. She's a masculine looking font, no-nonsense,  but I really need the female company. Oh, I know, I've seen women using you in Groups and other places, even in emails, but we both know you're perfect for a guy like me...and that was something else. You know how I felt about you, but people were starting to talk....I brought it all on myself, I know.

So...this is goodbye. Breakups are hard, and there will be times when I will find traces of you in my life; I've still got to change my email font, but I'm dreading it. I can't stand to cry. There are probably thousands of Notepad documents and pages I've made that have you in them.

I may have to delete them instead of altering, I'm that sad over this.

Please, it's not you, it's me. I'm just growing, wanting to spread my wings, not give myself to only one font. Please understand.

Love always,
Mike





1 comment:

Laura said...

This is hilarious! How do you come up with this stuff?