Welcome to ToTG!



July 11, 2009

Fiery Furnace Forecast & Fair-Weather Friends

As I've written in here before, I keep my online friends and sister's weather forecast on my Excite start page. Looks like Sis will have a hot day in Denton, but I'll be a bit warmer. (which seems strange, as she's probably 200 miles or more to the South, latitude-wise) As you can see with the current temps (in dark), it's almost always cooler at night here than there, plus it's also much less humid here nearly all the time than it is in the Dallas area.

I'm just thankful I don't live in Houston where the air is thick enough to swim through.



Now for my "fair-weather friends", not in the usual sense, because they've always been great online pals, but because their weather is much better than it is here.

It looks like my friend Collee in NH will be getting a little more heat than has been usual for that area this year; just the other day I read an article from a Massachusetts online newspaper that said this was the "year without summer" for them up that way.

Also in an online newspaper, I read that New Zealand has been experiencing a cooler than normal winter. Sure wish I could send a bit of heat Annie's way, we've got plenty to spare!

Beary in Florida looks as though she's going to have a fairly nice day, but except for hurricanes, it's almost always nice in Florida, huh?

Mr and Mrs. G are also going to have a nice, temperate day in Nawth Carra-lana, just the right warmth for the daytime and great sleeping weather at night. (I'm sure they're snugglin' up anyway, bein' newlyweds and all)

It looks like an avg. day in England for my "absent" friend elle in Oxford. -sigh- I remember a time when she came to visit in August and it was hot like it is now and felt like a blast furnace when the wind blew...which is to say, it felt like a blast furnace most afternoons. She loved it, reveling in the heat, but the low humidity and fierce temps made her poor little nose bleed and the sun played havoc with her English Rose complexion.

Heard on the news last night that the local electric utility is asking us to conserve power as they're close to reaching the maximum on power generation. Hey, I'll turn out the lights, I'll shut down this computer and my TV; I'll even unplug my little fridge, I'll shoot out the street lights, but damned if I'm shuttin' down the A/C.

Yes, "damned" is right, and I mean it. Hell can't be too much hotter; I'm just worried if it'll be humid there, too.

1 comment:

sharintexas said...

It has been miserable here the past several days. I try not to get out much during the day, but sometimes you have to. My dog doesn't even like to go out during the heat of the day! I got my electric bill in the mail today and am going to wait a while to open it...why ruin a perfectly good weekend? I need to be in Colorado in the mountains!!