Welcome to ToTG!



May 13, 2014

ad hominem


ad hominem ad ho·mi·nem [ad hom-uh-nuhm -nem, ahd‐] adjective

1. appealing to one's prejudices, emotions, or special interests rather than to one's intellect or reason.

2. attacking an opponent's character rather than answering his argument.


Most certainly a word I'd never heard of until I got on the 'net and then I saw it used as a counter-argument/accusal in forums and on message boards.

Personally, I feel if someone's character is less than desirable - evidenced by their comments and behavior in said forums and message boards - then I don't give a lot of credence to their argument.  I often see the term used as a rebuttal to someone ridiculing an argument, but the problem is the original point made appealed "to one's prejudices, emotions, or special interests rather than to one's intellect or reason".  It's hypocritical to start out a point with an ad hominem then be offended when one is used in return.

That said, an ad hominem reply is something to be avoided if possible.  On the other hand, sometimes it's very satisfying.

Don't agree with me?  Yo momma.

No comments: