Welcome to ToTG!



August 6, 2007

No Horse Sense

Continuing the same set of photos from yesterday.

As I said, I found a buddy, one that would stick around and let me take photos.

I pulled some grass from the ditch and fed him as a reward for being so patient with me.



I kept experimenting with the settings on my camera, trying to take the same shot with different settings--dusk, twilight, night, day, etc, hoping that when I got home and d/l them, I'd find something worth keeping.

After feeding him the first bit of grass, though, he wasn't going to hang around if I wasn't going to supply more hand-fed treats. After standing still for a few seconds, he would turn to leave, catch up with the other horses which were now grazing on down the fence row.



I'd feed him some more, then quickly move away to take a photograph. I chopped his nose off on this one.




I wasn't liking what I was seeing on the monitor, not that I had a lot of time to view the last picture I had taken because my new friend was anxious to get back to the herd. The setting sun was making the lighter parts of the horse appear too bright and the shadows made other parts too dark.



I finally got a decent shot (well, I think it's decent, click to enlarge) after changing the settings yet again.



I was in such a hurry on some of the photos that when I pulled the grass, I would sometimes get a big clump of dirt on the roots. I usually shook it off, and when I did, the horse would nod its head; I thought it was just a scared reaction to the semi-violent act of my shaking the vegetation but now I'm not so sure it wasn't the horse approving of my action.

Here's a shot I took that's blurred, and that's because the horse got the dirt off that I had forgot. The stuff went everywhere and I was a bit startled by his sudden and quick shakes of that large head.



He went off with his pals after this photograph, obviously disgusted with my improper food presentation. If I could speak "horseese" I bet I would have heard him muttering:

"No horse sense 't'all. "

No comments: