Welcome to ToTG!



February 21, 2009

Goodbye, MSN Groups

Goodbye to MSN Groups, a source of much fun and also much frustration.

My "main" group (because I, like so many other mgrs., had several) would have been ten years old this July. It seems like only yesterday....and sometimes seems light years ago...that my friend elle and I decided we would have a go at running our own group.

I'm not going to miss Groups. Most of my lasting online friends had moved on long ago anyway. I'm certainly not going to miss the over-officious mgrs. of *some* groups. I won't miss the drama queens, nor will I miss the stifling censorship of those same mgrs. I'm sure I don't hold the record for deleted posts, nor for banned Passports, but I certainly had more of those than I deserved.

In all my "non-MSN" experiences, I've had but a couple of posts denied/deleted. All-in-all, I'm satisfied with that. I can't say the same thing about my time in Groups. At times I feel as though the majority of my time spent in Groups was time wasted.

Aw, I could gripe about Groups forever but it's time to move on, forget the past. I'm so pleased to have discovered Blogger and love how it lets me express myself without fear of having this site deleted/shuttered because I posted a graphic of a mooning smiley.

(Blogger lets me make an ass out of myself without getting in trouble for a cartoon one)

So, here's a salute to you, MSN Groups!

It's definitely "the end".

2 comments:

Carolea said...

I'm going to miss them. Groups made Me laugh, cry, think, meet people. I think in one group I had as many posts delelted as you!

Mike said...

I won't miss 'em, Beary, because the few groups to which I belonged probably had less than a hundred posts between them over the course of the last couple of years.

Another reason I won't miss Groups is because there are thousands of alternatives out on the 'net, most of which are better.

Yet another reason I won't miss them is the simple reason they didn't work very well, at least they haven't since around 2002 or so. MSN quit supporting them and we were left with "Your Entry is Too Long" "Page Not Found" and Passport assumption where people found their groups destroyed and vandalized.

Even in "that Group" you're referring to became nothing more than a collection of sycophantic suck-ups with HiJack This logs pushing back the true purpose of the group, namely one of Group support, not people's computer problems.

Besides that, they were only taking people's logs and running them through an online analyzer, then claiming the results as their own.

I resented the stifling of dissent and how they allowed flaming from "some" but not from others. Hypocrisy, plain and simple.

Granted, if it were not for Groups, I wouldn't have met some of my dearest online friends such as Garazon, you and Barb, a few others. Still, I've managed to hang on to you guys as friends without relying on Groups as our sole source of communication.

Maybe me saying I won't miss them at all is wrong and a lie; it's like my ex-wife. I don't regret our parting so much, but instead miss the good times. Still, the bad times made it a necessary thing for us to divorce.

Anyway, thanks for posting. Love ya!