Welcome to ToTG!



February 12, 2009

iSerenity

NOTE to visitors: I've noticed quite a few hits on this post and will have to apologize to all who have found the link invalid. I don't have a clue as to why the website no longer exists.






From the website:

Welcome to iSerenity - ambient sound environments at your desktop for relaxation and solitude. 31 sound and image environments to choose from, and counting.

iSerenity takes you away from your usual desktop setting and delivers you via a variety of sounds and image environments to a tranquil, private and entertaining space. iSerenity offers the capability of a sound machine without the added expense.


I'm not so sure about some of these; a cricket noise makes me nervous, afraid that it will suddenly hop onto my face just as I drift off to sleep. (it's happened!) A hair dryer? I'd be counting the kilowatt hours like sheep as it droned on. The crackling noise of a fire would put me to sleep, but not if it was a fire that was from an overheated hair dryer.

I could probably get to sleep after I threw the typewriter out the window, though.

Visit iSerenity

2 comments:

The Local Malcontent said...

Using iSerenity would mean leaving your computer on, through the night or through one's nap?
Wonder when someone will come up with a mode called "Silence"?

Reminds me of a comic strip I saw once- "Eek and Meek" maybe-
Where one of the two, bored characters yawns and says to the other, "... think I'll go home and watch the sunset on TV."

Mike said...

Yep, these things are sorta like screensavers, IMHO. Since it's been years since computers needed something to keep from getting an image "burned" into a screen, we haven't needed them.

I read an article that stated if folks would do away with screensavers, or at least put their machines on "sleep mode", it could save enough energy per year to power something like 10,000 homes.

I really thought this website to be silly, as you might could tell by my snarky comments. Anyone could go out on the 'net, find (for example) thunderstorm sounds, splice them together and play them in a continuous loop. You could even embed them in a page, set the repeat to some high number and it would turn off after it played the set number of times.

The cat purring does work, though, because my old varmit crawls up in the crook of my arm and starts purring and we both fall asleep.

Thanks for posting!