Welcome to ToTG!



February 15, 2009

pinchbeck

From the Word of the Day:

pinchbeck \PINCH-bek\, noun, adjective:
1. an alloy of zinc and copper used to imitate gold in jewelry-making; by extension, something counterfeit; an imitation

adjective:
1. not genuine; fake



I've never seen this word in print nor have I ever heard it spoken. It's not something I'd use even if I HAD known it, I think. I certainly don't know everything, though.

That's no news to regular readers of this blog.

It fits this blog, though.

"The Pinchbeck Gazette". Sounds good to me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Pinchbeck"...Is the name of a quiet pretty little Village in the countryside of England, but there's nothin' false about it..it's just outside the town of Spalding in the county of Lincolnshire, Spalding is about 12 miles NE of the city of Peterborough (which is 70 miles north of London). Bob

Mike said...

Oh, I know where that is! It's just south of Wetwang!

Anonymous said...

Mike, the people of Wetwang remember you well, and want you to return or send the money(there must be a story there!) Returning to "Pinchbeck", I was talking to a couple of the locals and they reckon that the name comes from two words ie. Pinch = the coming together (from the old french "pincier", Beck = a stream.(could be Scottish!) The village is situated on the junction of two streams which join up. That's the trouble with the English language, too colourful.
Bob.