Welcome to ToTG!



May 18, 2009

It's a Gas



My mom used to buy Mad magazines for my sisters and I every other time she went to the grocery store. (Pop got paid every two weeks, and the magazine was a monthly. On the off bi-weekly trips, we got some other magazine, such as Cracked)

I stumbled across an mp3 version of this and thought I'd do a movie and post it; after I got done, I decided to find out when this came out (1963) and discovered the above version at YouTube.

The "record" came in a "Best of" magazine edition and was basically made out of cardboard, with the recording being done on cheap plastic glued to the paper. I'm not sure what happened to it...I expect I wore it out. I was around eight years old when we got it, so I thought it quite hilarious. (a boy who could burp on command in those days was thought to be extremely talented. I bet that hasn't changed much since then.)

The saxophone on the recording was played by the legendary King Curtis.

2 comments:

Barb said...

Oh gosh, I was older than you when I was fist introduced to MAD, maybe 10 or 11, but loved it to death.
I remember getting a big liquor box full of old issues from a neighbor who's son went off to college. I bet he mourned the loss of that collection. But isn't that what mom's do, throw out the baseball cards and the MAD magazines?

I remember the movie parody of A Clockwork Orange and the folding back page the most after all these years...oh and Spy vs Spy.

Heck, most of it was way over my head but that was good, it made me think.

Mike said...

My sister gave me a subscription to Mad a few years back and I was amazed at how left it had turned. Oh, they still poked fun at politicians, but the bias was obvious and unfair.

I took an election issue to my mom and she looked through it and threw it in the trash, saying it certainly had changed for the worse.

It wasn't even as funny as it used to be.

I liked the folding last cover page, plus "Spy VS. Spy", plus the movie parodies.

Sure wish I had all of our old comics, esp. the Supermans.