Welcome to ToTG!



January 15, 2013

I Love You, Cassandra

Even though I've never seen you.

Just spent a couple of hours on the phone trying to deal with AT&T.  My phone bill has been steadily going up for a couple of years, ever since I called them and tried to reduce the monthly cost.  At that time, I was told by getting a certain bundle, I would save five dollars/month, yet when I got the next bill, it was five dollars MORE.

It was maddening going through the hassle of doing all that, so I just let it slide.  After getting the last bill and having it be nearly five dollars more than the previous month, I decided enough was enough.  I tried to alter my plan online, but after jumping through hoops, I got a page saying the service wasn't available and giving me a number to call.  Funny, you can add all sorts of services online - for an increase in cost - but you can't do anything to lower your bill.

So, earlier today I called the number;  as is almost always the case on these things, I get the computer.  After having to repeat my information multiple times, I'm finally connected with a human.  In India.  With a thick accent.  After telling her I could barely hear her and when she made adjustments (prob. just putting the microphone closer to her mouth) I then couldn't understand her.  I told her so, not once but several times and I could hear the frustration in her voice.  (and I was making no attempt to disguise my own frustration)  She finally said she'd transfer me and did so...but to the California branch, who told me I'd have to deal with the Texas office. 

Oh, did I mention I was put on hold with each and every transfer?  Each took at least five minutes.  I've been on the phone for over an hour now without having accomplished a single thing.

I finally get the Texas office, but I can barely hear them.  I complained about it and they told me their volume was up as high as it could go, that it must be MY volume at fault. I took the phone away from my ear to check my volume and saw it was at the maximum, but when I held it back to my ear again, there was nothing but silence.  We had been disconnected....but I think they just hung up on me.

Letting out a scream (yes, I did, I was full of rage) I redialed the number, got Mr. Computer again and was connected again to a human "Hello, this is Cassandra, how may I help you?"  A sweet voice, one I could hear.  Thank God.

Long story short, she listened to my complaint and what I wanted done with my service and I wound up with the options I wanted, a fiber optic connection, free equipment, much faster Internet speed, all for $30 less than I've been paying.  I also found out that I can drop the phone land line and get a cell phone (you could have DSL and not have the phone service, but the speed was reduced to a minimum) and she's going to call me back tomorrow to discuss plans and phones. 

I may get a cell phone, not sure.  I also may ask her to marry me.

4 comments:

Barb said...

Cassandra sounds like a peach, I'd spring that proposal! (At least stay engaged until you get your service and bill sorted out. {bg}

Mike said...

Oh, I was just so pleased to get someone nice and I could understand!

Got my service switched earlier this morning, enjoying it so far! D/L some cooking vids in a flash!

sharintexas said...

I have not had a landline in about two years. I just use my cell phone and have had no problem. I hope you get your service worked out. Does this mean I get a new sister in law?

Mike said...

Well, I doubt it, sis. She's from Illinois and that's a little too far.

I never did hear back from her; I got a call from AT&T but was silence. I got two more concerning the new service, but it was a computer.

I don't know about the phone; I never get calls except for telemarketers and I just got a nifty call blocker w/ the capacity for 1500 blocked numbers. I had maxed out my telephone service feature that only had room f/ ten and then during the last election cycle I used up all my blocks on my phone, 20 I think it was. I not only blocked Obama calls but those from Romney along with the local candidates. If they bothered me, I didn't vote f/ them. (well, except for Romney but I didn't have much of an alternative) Third party candidates got my vote most of the time.

I also block Huckabee calls and wish he'd come on the line live so I could tell him what a crooked asshole he is.

I've also blocked a couple of bill collectors; one is from J.C. Penney and I don't have a clue what it's for unless it was from the card my ex got 20 yrs. ago. I have a Penney's card but have never used it. I have also been bothered by an old debt I disputed when I changed telephone service back in 2000 or so. I kept getting charged by the old company even though I had switched over. I got it all taken off except for $3.68 cents and I still refuse to pay that b/c of the hassle and damage they did to my credit at the time.

My credit score is something like 776 right now, not "perfect" but pretty good.