Welcome to ToTG!



January 28, 2013

The People Vs. Winter

I'll admit to have been a drama queen about certain things before. With that disclaimer out of the way, I'll also confess that I have raked people over the coals for saying they loved winter and the snow. I usually just tell them it's a sure bet they never have had to work out in it or had to drive miles and miles in it. Sure, snow is "pretty", if you can sit by the roaring fireplace looking out at the winter wonderland with a glass of brandy in one hand. It's also a certainty that people who say that never fretted about their heating bill or had their pipes freeze. Go ahead and love winter if you want, it's a free country, but as for me, I'm always looking forward to spring.

This video serves as a reminder why I don't like winter.

4 comments:

The Local Malcontent said...

What is the coldest temp. you've ever experienced, Mike? Deepest single snowfall?
I see that right now, Pampa is at +30 with flurries; we're waiting on the front, ahead of it, with +59, rainy.

Mike said...

Coldest temp? I don't know what the actual temperature was, but w/ wind chill it's been -20 at least, several times. Deepest snow? Back in the winter of '70-'71, I had a bunch of pigs, some in converted bird dog pens with seven foot tall sides and they were buried, the tops several feet under the snow. I held my sister by her feet to dig down to their shelters. I think I recounted that one time in a post in here, will have to look.

Snow on the ground, not as much as they predicted, but it was still coming down before I fell asleep a couple of hrs. ago.

I really hate cold weather, more so the older I get. I prob. should move to Hawaii, wish I could afford it.

Barb said...

wow, great video Mike. It's a black ice day here in NH today. Coll's school is facing a 3 hour delay and I'm waiting a bit before I go out and do chores so I don't fall on my butt like the folks in that video.

Mike said...

Be careful, Barb.

I'd sometimes be a little ashamed of myself for griping at people who said they loved winter, then I'd remember another bad thing that once happened and I'd forgive myself.

It wasn't working out in it so much, but driving back and forth to work. Have to leave extra early, then work hard for eight hours out in it, then drive back, sometimes taking twice as long as normal.

I came in one morning after a hard, frigid night and huddled next to the wall heater trying to quit shivering. I fell asleep on my feet and burned my arm pretty bad, right on the bicep. THAT kept me up most of the day b/c of the pain, but I got a cool looking scar out of it, the louvers on the heater making a scorpion looking pattern on my arm, with a tail b/c of the curve of my arm. It stayed on me for a year or so, then finally faded away.

I got to thinking about the wind chill, and I believe I've gone through some -40 deg nights, with the temp. being below zero and the wind blowing like crazy. I never drive anywhere in the winter w/out having a "winter bag" with me w/ some coveralls, a couple pairs of gloves, sock caps and a small blanket. Winter weather can kill ya if you don't respect it.