Welcome to ToTG!



June 2, 2008

Four Mikes & a Malcolm in the Morning

I was half-watching TV early this a.m., an old re-run of Malcolm in the Middle. I enjoy the show, but never watched it when it was on primetime network TV.

The show was about the family joining a church in order to take advantage of free daycare. (if you've never seen the show, the family is "sweetly despicable" that way) As I said, I wasn't paying full attention to the show but perked up when I heard something very profound, a lovely quote.

The show was over shortly after and I changed the channel to my favorite sports show, Mike and Mike in the Morning. (Wiki Entry Here) I then got online, thinking I would look up the quote, see to whom it was attributed, but made the mistake of opening up my email program at the same time I opened up a browser window. Needless to say, I got sidetracked reading mails, following some links and then thought "What was it I was gonna look up?"

At that very moment one of my favorite football players of all-time, Mike Ditka, a guest on one of the Mike and Mike show segments said the exact same quote I was wanting to research.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is God's gift; that's why it's called 'the present'. "

ThinkExist.com, my favorite quote site, attributes the saying to Joan Rivers. (of all people) Others say it's spun-off from various essays or poems. I don't much care, because I spent more time researching the quote than I wished.

Instead, I obsessed about how many "M's" I could cram into the title of this blog post.

(I'm the fourth Mike, btw.)

No comments: