Welcome to ToTG!



June 8, 2008

One Hail of a Storm



Just took that pic about ten minutes ago. It took several shots to get one that was decent and without exaggerating any, it probably lost a quarter of its size, melting in my hand while I tried to hold the camera with the other.

All day long it felt really "funky" to me and anyone who lives or ever has lived in the Panhandle knows what I mean. The barometer was dropping and it felt as though there wasn't any oxygen in the air. The sky had a green tinge and then the temperature dropped ten degrees in a minute, then the hail started coming down, sounding like a machine-gun nest on top of my roof.

At first the hail was pea-sized, then started falling in larger and larger sizes. I ran out and got a golf-ball sized stone and tried to take a photo of it, but couldn't concentrate as I was a little afraid the tornado sirens might start their fearful wail.

I knew the storm was coming; I had heard the weather forecast and when severe weather threatens, I go to the National Weather site and see which way the storm is headed. I started to batten down the hatches when I saw the "white" on the radar profile. "Red" and "Orange" scare the heck outta me and white is the "worst".

This is a screenshot of the current radar and it looks as though we might have another round of hail headed this way, but it will pass just to the north if we're lucky.



Still, I had best unplug the computer...again.

The Beej is somewhere in this house, but I don't know where. I wish he'd let me in on the best hiding places.

6 comments:

garazon said...

Wow dude, thats some Texas sized ice! Can't imagine getting plonked on the head by one of those! Well stay safe and keep your head inside the house till the hail is passed! We'll take your word if it gets bigger! lol we had some the other week but just tiny compared to that, about dime sized but it makes one helluva racket. Thats scary weather down your way of the country this past month, sort of werid weather worldwide if you ask me, or maybe its just the immediacy of the news these days.
I always bring up the NWS site too when theses storms are moving in. Luckily we've been spared any severe stuff here, come close though, a few tornadoes the other week when that line of storms that caused such a ruckus out your way finally made it to the coast here, thankfully losing some of its punch but nevertheless spawning a few twisters and they are pretty rare around these parts. We're sitting the last two days near the century mark too and even as i write this I can hear some thunder starting to rumble and it getting just a bit dark, but its not looking like a big storm, just them ones that pop up in the late afternoon of these super hot and humid days. I passed the bank on the way home and that temperature display they have with the clock was saying 105, but the only official one I heard was 98 .. still too hot for this old geezer.

Just take care Mike and be careful, I doubt the Beej is gonna be giving up his hiding spot! ;)
G

Alison said...

Oh wow that is a huge hail stone , never seen one that big, it nearly matches your kidney stone !
well we sure could do with a few of those hitting our dams here in Cyprus we are suffering a drought, I wouldnt like to feel one on the top of my head though it could be a killer by the looks of it !

Oh I am sure moving to a part of the world that has some freaky weather , I am not sure what is the more scary now to be stuck in the middle of some hurricane/tornado or feeling some of the earthquakes here in Cyprus , well I guess they are both equally going to scare the sh** out of anyone being caught up in either !

Take care you two and I will pray that it doesn't get any worse .

Mike said...

The roof of my pickup got a pretty big dent. I'm not sure what my deductible is, but whatever it is, I'd bet the damage is two bucks below the amt. -sigh-

It was larger than a golf ball, but not tennis ball sized. It's funny to hear people describe the size of the hail, it's always bumped up one size here in Texas due to our penchant for exaggerating.

I use quarters all the time because I can't find my little six inch ruler.

We're about due for a tornado around here.

sharintexas said...

I'm glad you had no other damage than the dent on your pickup, Mike. Do you remember the video Dad took of our garden that one summer? The corn was tall, the okra, tomatoes, beans, etc. were all producing and everything looked beautiful. The next picture was one of a few stalks lying on the ground after the hail beat it all down. All the screens were beat off the windows and the hail stones lying against the side of our house made it look like it had been snowing. I wonder how large those stones were? We're supposed to get the severe weather this afternoon here in the Dallas area, so I think I'll keep my car in the garage. I'll pass on the tornadoes. I've been through several more of those than anyone should have to experience. The weather in Texas does keep you guessing.

Mike said...

I was over at my neighbor's house one afternoon when it started to storm. I ran back across the street to close some windows and by the time I was through, it had started hailing.

So, I put on my slicker suit and hardhat and went back over to my neighbor's.

Did I mention we had been drinking?

garazon said...

LOL Well i can see you doing that Mike, them hardhats really are great! and not just for work anymore!