Welcome to ToTG!



September 15, 2008

The Lesson

This statue is in front of the Pampa Lovett Memorial Library; it's one of a pair that were dedicated Jan. 9, 2005. (blog post about the other, Pioneer Woman)

Here is a closeup of the plaque on the base:

The statue was done by Don Ray of Channing and is named "The Lesson".

A closer look reveals the superb detail:


To me, the woman looks tired, but glad to take the time to help educate her young charge:


I like the expressions on both faces, but the one on the boy's seems to be a combination of love and trust, almost an amazement at what the woman had been reading to him.


The boy is barefoot, and the attention to detail by the sculptor is evident, even in a part that might be overlooked in favor of others.


(and no, I'm not trying for the unintentional hits that this blog received from "My Sister's Feet" )

Stepping around to the back of the statue shows more of the fine detail that normally wouldn't be seen...


...even down to the slingshot in the boy's rear pocket.


From the library's website:

Gift of R. L. Franklin: The sculptures are dedicated to all those women whose service to family, church, and community has brought and brings aspects of American life to what was so recently in historic perspective a dangerous and daunting land. Four women of such acumen and industry are: Virginia Green, Louise Franklin, Betty Henderson, Annie Buckler.

3 comments:

sharintexas said...

My feet almost look like those....except for the green color, of course. That is an interesting piece of art. I envy anyone with artistic ability. I guess I was standing behind the door when artistic ability was being handed out. I sure didn't take after Dad!

Mike said...

I've taken photos of that statue before, but only from the front.

I even took a shot of the lady's feet, but they're in slippers. Still pretty neat looking, and I thought about adding them.

Heck, I even took an "upskirt" shot, thought I might make a joke about it.

Denise * KKL Primitives said...

A beautiful sculpture! Your photos are very good Mike - you must have a really good camera to catch that detail.