Welcome to ToTG!



September 27, 2008

Rich German Chocolate Brownies



Yesterday (Friday) the StartSampling website had this recipe:

The trademark German chocolate brownie is made of mild, sweet chocolate and has an irresistibly rich and gooey nutty, coconut frosting.

Prep Time:15 min
Start to Finish:1 hr 50 min
Makes:24 brownies

Ingredients
1 bag (12 oz) semisweet chocolate chips (2 cups)
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 1/4 cups Gold Medal all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs, beaten
1 container Betty Crocker Rich & Creamy coconut pecan frosting
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (6 oz)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Directions

Heat oven to 350F. In 3-quart saucepan, melt 2 cups chocolate chips and the butter over low heat, stirring constantly; remove from heat. Stir in flour, sugar, vanilla, baking powder, salt and eggs. Spread batter in ungreased 13x9-inch pan.

Bake 27 to 34 minutes or until center is set. Cool completely, about 1 hour.

In medium bowl, mix frosting, 1 cup chocolate chips and the walnuts. Spread frosting mixture over brownies. For brownies, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows.

High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): No change.

Source: Betty Crocker


(hey, if they can copy off of Betty Crocker, I can copy it from them)

Not that recipes will become a part of this blog, but I just wanted to put this in. The brownies look SO delicious....but I don't really like coconut.

Back when I was a kid, my sisters and I would wake up on Christmas mornings to presents and goodies. Sometimes our goody basket would have exotic nuts, a pineapple and coconuts.

I woke up in the middle of the night, went into the living room where Santa had already left the presents, looked at mine, snooped around my sisters and decided I'd eat one of the coconuts.

I took it out to the garage, put dad's claw hammer to work and gulped down the milk and gnawed the coconut meat down to the shell.

That wasn't enough for my little greedy gut: I decided one coconut was good, so two must be twice as nice. I crept back into the house, careful not to awaken anyone, grabbed the other coconut, took it out to the garage and ate it, too.

Like the character in Cast Away says "Betcha didn't know coconut is a natural laxative."

I've known that since that Christmas Day.

I also took the cure on pineapple, too. My mom had one of those big jars full of brandied fruit, pineapple and cherries, I forget what-all was in it. It was fermented, and was an adult treat, not for kids. The alcohol content wasn't all THAT much, but it adds up...

...if you eat nearly the entire jar.

Nope, to this day I don't like pineapple or coconut. I'd be in a helluva shape if I was stuck on some desert island like Tom Hanks was in the movie.

There's always monkey meat, I guess.

No comments: