Welcome to ToTG!



September 8, 2008

Lost in Translation - Again

The regular readers of this blog will remember my post on the Blogger site "Gay Irish Dwarfs" and the hits on that particular article from Google searches.

I've been checking in on the blog from time-to-time since then and even though the post has led to some hits, it's not been updated since June. The last post, titled "New York del fire" was, like the other post I linked to, easy to understand in part, but there were a few words that just didn't translate.

Take this first bit:

Ja da er vi i det store eplet igjen. Skjønt vi og vi frøken Blom. Det er jo bare meg.

Som kanskje noen har forstått har ikke jeg kamera. Men da et bilde sier mer enn 1000 ord legger jeg ut bilder tatt med Macen. Bildet er fra det minste "hotell" rommet i New York. Det er jeg sikker på. At det er minst altså. Det andre bildet er fra "lobbyen".

NYC er som alltid fantastisk. Møter masse hyggelige folk og jeg digger å være her. På onsdag reiser jeg til Berlin hvor jeg skal være til tirsdag. Skal bo i en privat leilighet, så det blir moro!

Flyturen fra Minneapolis til NYC varte i fantastiske 9 timer pga uvær over JFK.

At the translation service I use for Norwegian, I've found out he's talking about his hotel room in NYC, using a Mac to upload his photos, one shot is of the lobby of the hotel, he's meeting lots of nice people and he's travelling to Berlin on Thursay, living in a private apt. is fun. The last paragraph is about a storm that delayed his flight from Minneapolis.

Just regular blog stuff, just like I do, letting my friends and family know what's going on.

Then there was this:

Jeg møtte en brite i går som ble så full at han besvimte sittende på stolen sin. Rett før hadde han selvfølgelig bestilt en Corona og seks sambuca shots. Hvem de shottene var til er fortsatt et mysterium for meg. Etter å ha fått briten i taxi og sendt han i allefall i retning av noe som lignet på det hotellet jeg klarte å få han til å oppgi tuslet jeg hjem, kun avbrutt av ett fantastisk nattmåltid bestående av pannekaker og frukt. Takk Roar. Det var du som oppdaget denne oasen av en nattkafé.

The translation?

I met a Briton yesterday that was so full that he besvimte sitting in his chair. Just in time, he had of course, ordered a Corona and six sambuca shots. Who they shottene was to remain a mystery to me.

Having received the British in the taxi and sent him in allefall in the direction of something that is similar to the hotel I was able to get him to disclose tuslet I am home, only interrupted by a fantastic nattmåltid consisting of pancakes and fruit. Thanks Roar. It was you who discovered this oasis of a nattkafé.

Oh boy. Been there, buddy. I've besvimte while sitting in my chair, too, but it was after consuming a six-pack of Lone Star to wash down the shots of tequila. I also had a nattmåltid, but it wasn't pancakes and fruit. I think it was because I ate the worm.

It certainly wasn't an oasis of a nattkafé. I never DID find out who shottene me. I'm still p.o.'d about that.

I too have "received the British", but it was in a rental car. It was fantastisk.

No comments: