Welcome to ToTG!



September 21, 2008

The Night of a Hundred Points

Yesterday was "Chicken Fry" day at the United deli, so off I went to get my fix of the Texas National Dish. I bought the Pampa Sunday paper, already out, plus the Saturday edition of the Amarillo newspaper.

I was halfway through my meal when I flipped open the sports pages, looking for the h.s. football scores. I saw where Pampa had lost, Canadian had won and my alma mater had been involved in a barn-burner, on the short end of a 106 - 82 shootout with the Fort Elliot Cougars.

Rats, I had thought I might go catch that game! Shoulda, woulda, coulda, that's always been my after-the-fact motto. *sigh*

It made me recall a game we played against Turpin; they were the Oklahoma 8-Man champs the year before, but we had them down 28-0 at halftime. I never will forget the screams from their bus during the intermission. (there was no field house at the football field, so both teams generally retired to the busses that had brought them out there from the school)

"You're letting those pipsqueaks beat you!" Stuff like that. It was true, Turpin had always beaten us in the past, but that night we made them pay for their overconfidence.

At least until halftime was over.

We scored a few more times but they scored more, and at the end of the game the score was tied 40-40. I believe, at that time, that was the second highest tie game in football history, some college teams knotting it up at 42-all. As I said, that's what we thought at the time, and a cursory Google search doesn't make me disbelieve it.

We were usually not that good. I remember bein' on the wrong end of some 70-something point ass kickin's in football. We had a few of the other type lopsides, but I don't remember them nearly as well as I do the others.

(I also remember starting to stall just after halftime in a basketball game with Allison; we had to slow the game down, keep them from reaching 100 points...and beating us by 60)

Miami, with their high but lower score, would've had third place in the standings for the state six-man highest score games, but on the same night, Throckmorton squeaked by May by two points and managed to become the number one highest scoring Texas six-man football game of all-time.

From sixmanfootball.com:

(202) Throckmorton 102 May 100 (2008)
(195) Temple Holy Trinity 112 SA Winston 83 (2004)
(189) Amarillo Bible Heritage 102 Northside 87 (2006)
(188) Fort Elliott 106 Miami 82 (2008)(187) Houston Sharpstown 148 Houston Lee 39 (1995)

The Miami Warriors will have to settle for fourth.

Sure wish I had gone to the game.

4 comments:

sharintexas said...

Try being a cheerleader in 1967-68 when we lost a game 81-0. It wasn't as funny then as it is now! I don't think you were in high school yet, were you? I miss going to football games in the fall.

sharintexas said...

There was a guy from Allison when I was in high school that scored 100 points by himself in one basketball game. I don't think it was against Miami. I believe it was in a tournament in Allison. That's pretty good for a high school basketball player.

Mike said...

The only Allison basketball player that I remember that was capable of doing that would've been Bevard Dukes. He was probably a couple years younger than you, maybe just one, but I played against him the year/my freshman yr. he was chosen Amarillo Globe-News' "Outside" player of the year. ("Outside" of Amarillo)

He wore the long pants, remember?

Just looked him up on the 'net: two things were a wedding announcement of his daughter, another was on his church website.

Last I had read about him, he was something like supt. of schools there, but I was just on the Ft. Elliot site last night and didn't see his name. (Allison cons. with Mobeetie/Briscoe in '92, think it was)

Mike said...

I meant to say 2003

The last census had Allison at 135 pop.